PDA

View Full Version : Update on 03a4

pelago
04-06-2011, 02:27
I put one together and actually got to shoot it at 600 yards at butner, here is the data book pagehttp://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/pelago177/600yard1ststring.jpg

first 6 shots were to get it into ten ring, interesting enough about the scope is that i the cross hairs completely cover and eliminate a 3" spotter at 600 yards, due to the width of cross hairs being one minute in width

2.5 magnification is doable but shooter needs to keep to the basics, at 600 yards the bull (normal bull at 600) is quite clear, not big, but clear when setting yours up remember that the focus at 100 is going to change quite a bit when you look at 600

am happy with results so far, and i was shooting 175 grain match king

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/pelago177/1903A4replica002.jpg

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
04-07-2011, 07:09
There is no 15 or 18, and two 17's. ??

jt

Bill D
04-07-2011, 07:33
There is no 15 or 18, and two 17's. ??

jt

My recordkeeping used to be a bit strange, too. I always figured it was more important to shoot 10's or X's than plot them in my record book. One can always go to the shots called and scored column to figure it out.

pelago
04-07-2011, 10:51
i have never been good at data keeping in fact i am absolutely lousy, terrible rotten, horrible, lets see what other adjective i could use, did not want to make a "made up one" this one has the spilled water on it and all, even the cross outs where i changed elevation and wrote it down in windage...another thing is i wear reading glasses and do not wear them when i write in the book

always wondered if one could do a data book with a small wireless recorder, do it all verbal and then transpose it into a visual book later on

that be possible or doable?????

i would shoot then see what it was look at the call and write the value down and many times forget to plot it on the darn sheet, and sometimes would say to myself was that 13 or 14 and put two 13's down, sorry for the confusion

what i need to do is shoot, call, and then get ready for next shot, target up, look and shoot and write down the last hit and make the new call, and that is what the coach for the North State Shooting Club team coach is beating into my thick 67 year old head.. and that is not easy to do, thickheaded old grunts are hard to change

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
04-07-2011, 12:01
I think you did very well, my friend. I was just kidding you a bit. I don't think I could do as well. Good shooting with a nice looking firearm.

jt

Allen Humphrey
04-13-2011, 07:27
Nice shooting Pelago. Looks like you walked the shots up the target with elevation changes before touching the windage. 2 more shots got you dead center. Well done.

pelago
04-19-2011, 01:28
thanks, one of the problems i am having is the elevation and windage are (shall we say) on the crude side

a word of caution to those building a repro, or building one of these with old sights

i found out that the Lyman Alaskan has a movement up and down of 95 clicks, and a movement left to right of 95 clicks (at least mine does)

windage was set at the range at 100 yards with the external adj, and the internal set at45 clicks, kept adj external to wind was zero'd, then locked the external redfield adj screw down with lock tite

Now i Zero'd mine on 200 yard line with Hornady 168 Grain AQ Max, point of aim point of impact, when i first shot the 600 yard line i pure guessed at the elevation change needed, went with normal come up and hit paper first two sighter rounds, came up a total of 24 inches then started the windage deal did not have to get too exotic, and luckily there was no wind to speak of.. In my log book i have the last shot recorded and when i go to range i will adj up or down based on the former results of the rifle, when i shoot at Butner i will come down 11 minutes for first sighter shot

think the rule for this rifle is to never take the scope back to mechanical zero for any reason, this is not like the ar or m1 or m1a, these older scopes probably will protest if the elevation or windage is screwed with on a daily base

just my humble opinion
but the more i shoot this thing the more i like it

Griff Murphey
04-20-2011, 09:02
Good shooting!

Semper fi!