PDA

View Full Version : White mildew on brown holster?

GA-Dave
04-03-2011, 05:50
I have a brown leater holster for a 1911 made by Warren Leather Goods. It is in good shape, but it gets a white powdery covering on it. Is this mildew? It doesn't smell like any thing. It has a waxy feel when I wipe it.

I got the holster from my brother and he told me it was dry and he saturated with with something. Could it be wax forming on the surface?

Pictures don't show anything but a white coloring.

If it is midew, how can I get rid of it?

Thanks,

Dave

Dan Shapiro
04-03-2011, 08:36
Sounds like your brother put on a waterproofing that contained paraffin (wax). Just use a dry towel to buff it off. It may take a couple months, before the stuff starts showing back up. Don't rush it. Clean with a good saddle soap, then use something like Soffener or Pecards to replenish the oils. It will stabilize the leather - but won't "waterproof" it. I've used Soffener to maintain an 1842 and 1855 leather bayonet sheath with no problems.

Johnny P
04-04-2011, 06:26
Mink Oil does that. When I first started looking for a leather restorer/preservative about 35 years ago I tried Mink Oil. It seemed to do a pretty good job, but on some of the slings that it was applied to the white substance still forms. It can be removed with a soft cloth, and the slings have remained in good condition, but the white powder is a nuisance. I have had excellent results with Pecards.

wsfbernie
04-06-2011, 03:58
Kinda sounds like Neats Foot Oil was applied. This was common from the forties on and results in darkening of the russet leather color.
The white wax will continue to form until stabilized. Be especially aware of brass fittings, verdigris forms commonly. In M1874 scabbards
the verdigris will actually lock up the swivel. I, too, have had good luck with Pecards. Darkening is minimal and the leather does stabilize
somewhat. Not servicable, of course, but displayable. Blunted toothpicks work well in removing accumulated verdigris before it prizes the
fittings off.

Johnny in Texas
04-06-2011, 12:05
I get that on some WW2 leather items I have used leather preservatives on over the years. it just wipes off and feels waxy so I assume it is wax

Johnny P
04-06-2011, 01:07
I gave my dad a Randall knife in the early 1970's, and he immediately treated the sheath with Neatsfoot Oil. Today the sheath is very dark, and the leather is breaking down. No white powder, but the leather is coming apart.

dave
04-06-2011, 01:42
I have used Neats Foot in the past and it does form that wax, but only on some items. Used to use it on boots, when around water and even IN shallow water, wax never formed then. ( and the leather, on any item, has ever falling apart)

Johnny P
04-06-2011, 05:30
The Randall knife sheath is very fragile now, with the button on the safety strap ready to pull through. It didn't turn white, but it did turn dark.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2dt7l3s.jpg

Sunray
04-09-2011, 07:32
"...the leather is coming apart..." Old leather will crack when it gets dry. Nothing will fix it either. Time to make a new sheath.

Johnny P
04-10-2011, 02:06
"...the leather is coming apart..." Old leather will crack when it gets dry. Nothing will fix it either. Time to make a new sheath.

It sure will, but the deterioration is not from being too dry, but too much Neatsfoot Oil. Neatsfoot Oil softens the leather by breaking down the fibers, and the sheath shown in the original post is suffering from that problem. Even in it's deteriorated condition the sheath is worth more than any new sheath would be.
This is a Randall some 10 years or so older, and the sheath has only been treated with Pecards.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2cq20kh.jpg