PDA

View Full Version : Clocking K98k RC's trigger guard screws??

Dad
03-31-2011, 07:38
Ok, I'm used to tightening the trigger guard screws on '03s, SMLEs, etc just as hard as I can to make sure the action is not loose in the stock, but the K98k has me puzzled.

I just finished cleaning up a 1940 243 coded K98k RC.

I purchased replacements for the missing sling, cleaning rod and locking screws and they fitted with no problems.

I do have a question about how tight the trigger guard screws have to be.

When I tighten the screws completely, I can not install the locking screws since the recesses of the trigger guard screw heads do not line up with the lock screws.
I have to back off the trigger guard screws almost ¼ turn to get the locking screw recesses to line up.

I feel that this condition leaves the action loose in the stock.

1) Is this condition acceptable?
2) Should I obtain different trigger guard screws that hopefully will "clock" correctly?
3) Or should I install shims under the screw heads to rectify the clocking?

Here are the shims I'm asking about
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=533613

Any help is welcomed

D. :1948:

mike webb
04-01-2011, 11:05
It's not acceptable if you plan to shoot it. You may end up with a cracked stock at worst or poor accuracy at the least. I use small steel washers under the screws for alignment purposes. The screws should be snugged up good with a screwdriver, any more torque is not required.

Dad
04-01-2011, 01:20
Thanks for answering,
I'm going to try cranking harder on the main screws to see if I can get the recesses to line up.
Failing that I'm going to the shim to align method.

D :1948:

randy langford
04-01-2011, 04:47
As Mike said shim. Very few will line up a backing off a little is ok 1/4 turn is too much

Dad
04-01-2011, 10:22
Thank you guys,

Shims ordered.

musketshooter
04-02-2011, 08:29
THe proper way to correct the problem is to chuck the screws up in the lathe and remove a bit of metal on the back side of the head. Just take a little off and try it until you get the alignment right.

Jim K.
04-03-2011, 07:22
The German troops didn't carry assorted shims around or run to the nearest lathe, they just cranked the screws down, then backed off to the nearest lock screw point. Probably why they lost the war.

Jim

Dad
04-05-2011, 09:54
Guess what happened!
I ordered shims and a new Forster trigger guard screw/lock screw set from MidwayUSA.
They arrived yesterday and I installed the Forster screws without shims to see if they would line up when tightened and they did!!!
They lined up perfectly!!!!
Did not have to crank down on them either!!
Nice looking screws too.
Now I guess I have extra shims……