PDA

View Full Version : Marsden(?) Bayonet

shootinrandy
03-31-2011, 06:00
Hi All, Bought a Marsden (?} a few months back, Have any idea how hard to find a bayonet for it?, Thanks, Randy

Art
03-31-2011, 07:31
Madsen???

shootinrandy
03-31-2011, 08:25
1949 Swedish? 30-06, friend said oooh you need to get that, so I did, took it home cleaned it and put it in the safe. Yeah any info on the rifle and or bayonet would be greatly appreciated. I had formerly never heard of them, which should be obvious by my not knowing the name. I'm just ignorant ................not really stupid : ).., Thanks Art, Randy

Art
03-31-2011, 08:53
If it's a Madsen it's a Danish manufactured rifle. Madsen was most famous for machine guns and some of their rifles are really rare birds. Is it an autoloader or a bolt gun? Danish 8mm Krags were, I think made by Madsen (don't hold me to that though.) Madsen also made a cal. 30 bolt gun called the M47 which is pretty rare as well as a Ljungman modification and a 7.62mm assault rifle which I don't think ever saw production. None of the post World War II guns were successful commercially.

The Madsen company has been out of business for years.

I have no earthly idea where you might find a bayonette for any of them.

shootinrandy
04-01-2011, 06:24
Ok, Hope this works, Just got home from being out of town all week, went down to my bunker and snapped a pic of the Madsen. MADSEN M G/A 3506-58 CAL 30, FUERZAS ARMADAS DE COLUMBIA. Made for the Columbian police force? Thanks Art, Randy

Griff Murphey
04-02-2011, 09:00
Cool, rare old gun. You are gonna hunt for THAT bayonet.

Art
04-02-2011, 10:07
Ok, Hope this works, Just got home from being out of town all week, went down to my bunker and snapped a pic of the Madsen. MADSEN M G/A 3506-58 CAL 30, FUERZAS ARMADAS DE COLUMBIA. Made for the Columbian police force? Thanks Art, Randy

You have one of a small lot that was sold to the Colombian government for military use. The Colombians had plenty of Mausers at the time so the Madsens went straight into storage which is why yours is so "purty." Nice find.

shootinrandy
04-02-2011, 05:59
Thanks guys, Yep I'll hunt as best I can, If you should come across one please let me know. The locking system for the Bayo is very interesting huh? I believe I may have been the first to close the bolt on this one, there wasn't even a scratch on the magazine follower, unfortunately, now there is. The friend that told me to get it said, "The Danish took all the good features from all the different countries' bolt guns and put them in this one", whether true or not, is is a pretty nice firearm, Guess the days of the bolt gun were pretty much over by then though. Good idea just too late? Thank You, Randy

Art
04-04-2011, 09:57
I just googled Madsen Model 1947 bayonet and several showed up for sale on various sites. One without a scabbard sold for $32.00. I don't know if they were repros but I doubt it. So I imagine that a bayonet with a scabbard ad frog (if applicable) would run $60.00 - $80.00.

shootinrandy
04-04-2011, 04:39
Thanks Art, Not too bad price-wise. Better get one while I can though, you sir are a wealth of good info! Thanks, Randy

shootinrandy
04-04-2011, 07:16
Well, did google search and most of them are sold . Found a really nice one for $325.00, OUCH !!!!! (it was a serial #'d Bayonet with matching # scabbard) I'll keep looking and I appreciate the help. Did see a few interesting articles on the rifles themselves.

madsenshooter
04-08-2011, 09:23
You'll enjoy the rifle. It will string vertically unless you relieve a bit of pressure under the front band. Doesn't take much, you can see where the bayonet lug sits on top of the wood. As the barrel heats up pressure is applied there. Just sand off enough that you can see a gap there. The wood, by the way, is epoxy impregnated and doesn't get dinged up as easily as other rifles. I found mine at a yard sale for $175 20 years or more ago. Before I knew the rarity of the thing, I'd sanded, stained and glass bedded it. It was originally a blonde colored wood and I stained it with teak. Still shoots good, though I've about worn the barrel out. The bayonets do come up on gunbroker from time to time.

shootinrandy
04-09-2011, 12:03
Thanks Madsenshooter, I'm considering never firing it, I have never done this with a rifle before, but this one is so nice except for the dinged up stock. If it has ever been shot before I sure can't tell. Granted I'm no expert and It may have been fired before but it sure does look like brand new. I gave $350 for mine at a gun show, so I think I'll hang on to it for several years to see what they do price-wise. Then again I may take it out , sand the wood under the Bayo lug and shoot the fire out of it.Thanks for the tip, Randy

HoosierDaddy
04-09-2011, 07:59
A good friend of mine is collecting data on the Madsens.
Cool rifles and not many around. The bayonets are out there. You have to do some searching.
Some are serial number marked and some are not. I have 5 rifles and 5 unmarked bayonets. Two of my rifles are consecutively marked.
Lots of folks will say the rifles were made for the Columbian Navy as they are marked "Armadas de Columbia". That is bunk.

http://milsurpshooter.net/topic/9367/Colombian-Madsen-M1958-Please-post-your-Serial-Number-info

Is the link to the data collection. Lots of great info there.

Be sure to say if your rifle has a stock disc. I can't remember right off hand if the early number ones or the late number ones have the stock disc.

shootinrandy
04-10-2011, 07:19
Ok HoosierDaddy, posted my info on Ol'Dukes thread. I read the whole thread and found some interesting stuff. Still looking for a bayonet, but I'm a patient soul : ) . Nice to see a bunch of folks appreciate what a nice rifle these are. If you read my post from the beginning, you'll see I didn't even know how to spell it . LOL Just took it on someones advice to get it. Glad I did. Randy