PDA

View Full Version : Redfield 3x9 with a serial number inscribed on the name plate???

stars-n-bars
03-26-2011, 09:26
Could this have been done to match an M40? The scope has a matte finish that looks almost plum colored. It has the range finding tombstone.:icon_scratch::confused:

stars-n-bars
03-26-2011, 09:30
The number is 551953 electro-penciled on it.

GregV
03-26-2011, 01:19
Can you post a few pictures?

30cal_Fun
03-26-2011, 01:35
The quick answer, yes, it might
I have seen pictures of the rifles serial number electro penciled on the base, and I think this was also done to some scopes, however, I am not absolutely sure about this.
Some pictures would be great.
However, as far as I know, all the M40 were in the 200-300 thousand range.

Dan in NY
03-26-2011, 07:56
Which Generation scope? But 30cal's right on this.....It wouldn't be the rifle's serial number....Redfield scopes themselves were serialed, but factory roll-stamped, and NOT electropenciled, and most always had a letter prefix, like F223443, etc....The USMC tombstone should go from 200 to 600 yds....and NOT have a Duplex reticle..It's funny to go on Ebay and see all the "Redfield M40 Sniperscopes"....Then looking at the reticle and its a Duplex....Redfield made some commercial Accurange tombstones that stopped at 450 yds., I believe....These were not USMC scopes...

stars-n-bars
03-26-2011, 08:17
I think my scope is an early one. The adjustment power ring says Redfield Gunsite Co. It has the 600 yd. tombstone and the recticle is a medium crosshair with the stadia lines above the + to use the range finding tombstone. I'll try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. Thanks for the info.:icon_salut::icon_confused:

stars-n-bars
03-27-2011, 04:48
Here are a few pic's. No other numbers on the scope except the eletro-penciled one.:confused:

30cal_Fun
03-28-2011, 12:36
The turret caps are the pointy ones like the later, commercial accurange scopes, I have a scope that looks exactly like yours (right down to the "Redfield Gunsite Co") except that it is gloss black, making it a commercial model probably made around 1975.

I think your scope is indeed an early model, for two reasons:
One: I know that the early ones were a matte black / annodized kind of colour (which in time could very well turn plum). All the later ones were gloss black.
Two: Your reticle is a thin crosshair type (where the width of the lines don't change along the way). As far as I know all the later, commercial ones had a duplex crosshair where only the center of the crosshair lines where thin.

However, there are two reasons why I think that your scope isn't an M40 one:
One: As said, the serial number doesn't match the serial number range of the original M40's.
Two: All the first and second generation scopes that went on the M40's had low, flat turret caps, not the higher pointy ones like yours (and mine).

(Again) However, This is as far as my limited knowledge stretches, if anything is incorrect, please correct me.
If I can take a guess, I think your scope is an early accurange scope probably made in the late 60's that was electro penciled by the owner who might, MIGHT have had a government job.
Good luck with your search, if you find anything, let me know, I am as interested in the history of this scope as you.

stars-n-bars
03-28-2011, 05:31
Thanks 30cal., I've got this one setting a Remington 700P in a wooden plain stock from the factory. It performs as well as I can shoot.

Dan in NY
03-28-2011, 06:01
Looks to be a second generation Redfield Accurange version...Your pics are a bit blurry, so it's hard to guage the finish on the tube, which would set it apart from a commercial second generation...Could be ex-military, as that's what they looked like, but that electro-penciled serial is a mystery to me, and would most likely be a detractor to a purist should you ever sell it...USMC electroplenciled the last 4 digits or the weapons serial on the tube forward of the front ring, on the left side...Its all in Senich's book. Either way, it's a cool scope and if it is a true matte finish second generation, its a rare bird...

Johnny in Texas
03-28-2011, 10:16
The stud on the power ring is different than my early commercial accu-range mine has the flat top caps and dull gloss finish but the stud is taller and rounded on the end.

Dan in NY
03-28-2011, 12:39
Johnny, your pics are a great reference tool as to the hallmarks of the first generation...compare your pics with the scope in question and you'll see a clear distinction between generations...(turret writing, shorter knob, taller caps, etc)..I repaired a couple of these and the internals are quite different as well...second generations have a single erector cell & power change unit that comes out in your hand to service, while the first gen. is a bit more complex..Both have a special locking ring I had to fabricate to even let me get in there...You'll notice you can unscrew the rear (eyepiece) bell only so far and it comes to a complete halt..thats where the tool comes in....Once you've seen both scopes person, the differences are crystal clear....Just FYI, these 1st & 2nd gen. redfield scopes are all steel & brass inside...very well built...Don't know how the later (1980's) ones are..I'm guessing theres gotta be some plastic in there to cut costs like Weaver did, unfortunately...

stars-n-bars
03-28-2011, 02:32
Dan, Do you repair Redfields ? I have a wideview that is wide on both ends. The recticle is broke and the tombstone is turned sideways. Otherwise its in very good condition. I have a Kollamorgan Bearcub that has the flat turret caps. It is a 2 3/4 fixed power. It has a grey finish.:confused:

Dan in NY
03-28-2011, 02:50
Stars;

I have repaired them for myself...But, my forte is the older scopes, like Unertls, Lymans, Winchesters, Feckers, etc...Basically non- Nitrogen-filled scopes, with not-too-complex innards...Believe it or not, one of the most complex scopes to rebuild is the Weaver 330 /M73B1 scopes...They look like $10 .22 rifle scopes, but they are a nightmare of spacers & decrepit paper washers and lenses....Again, I stick to crosshairs & re-laminating the lenses... I have no way of recharging these Redfields/Kollmorgans, so if that's an issue, I'm the wrong guy. I can fix reticles and as long as the tombstone is still attached and not bouncing around, it's probably still salvageable...Many times guys send me old scopes that someone else has tried to fix, and they royally messed it up..I usually send them back..as they are beyond my fixing should parts be missing and/or broken....Just so you know, if the tombstone is sideways, someone was probably in there....

email me and we'll talk further..

ds1911@verizon.net

Badgerord
03-28-2011, 06:42
S-n-B

It has all the correct earmarks of a second Gen scope.
1. The finish appears to be matte black, (All the Air force rifles had matte black scopes).
2. The Reticle is correct.
3. The markings are correct.
4. The caps are right.

As for the SN, there ARE M700 Snipers that were sold to agencies other than the Marines, Air force, US Marshals service, some Sheriffs departments Many state fish and game departments.
No one, probably not even Remington can say what serials were used for M700 Snipers, all we know for sure is all the first contract Marine M700 Sniper rifles had 1st Gen scopes that were green.

That all being said, your number is in the wrong location for known scopes, some one probably tried to make a "Correct" rifle.
All the Marine rifles I have examined had the entire S/N on the scope, all the Air Force rifles had the last 4 on the scope.

The following pics are from 2 known Air Force rifles (mfg 1969 serials are 6 Million range and are within 3 numbers) and a Marine rifle (late 67, 300K range).

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/badgerord/100_3256.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/badgerord/100_3254.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/badgerord/100_3253.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/badgerord/100_3252.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/badgerord/100_3251.jpg

Marty
Badger Ordnance

Johnny in Texas
03-28-2011, 07:07
How is the Adj. Turret block marked on the green scope pictured?

stars-n-bars
03-28-2011, 07:20
Thanks fella's for all the info. Here are a few more better focused pictures.:icon_salut:

Badgerord
03-28-2011, 07:29
Pic of green scope

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/badgerord/100_3262.jpg

Marty
Badger Ordnance

Johnny in Texas
03-28-2011, 07:39
Thanks very cool Marty!!!!

Dan in NY
03-28-2011, 09:37
super cool, Marty.....

Badgerord
03-29-2011, 05:54
Off topic,

if you look at the 3 stocks behind the safety you will notice that the Marine stock has a bump behind the safety and the AF rifles do not.
The pistol grip is a bit longer on the AF rifles look at the stock on the Marine pic below.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/badgerord/M40MC.jpg

Marty
Badger Ordnance

30cal_Fun
03-29-2011, 10:15
Great pictures Marty, Thanks!

And thanks everyone for chiming in, I knew there had to be someone a lot more knowledgeable about M40 scopes them me.:icon_wink:

A question for you: I ordered the stock from Numrich for my M40 build (parts#536690). The contour of the fore end is very rounded almost like a half full moon that is flattened out, or better said, an oval shape. however, most of the pictures I see of the Remington commemorative and other repro's seem to have a slightly different shape, more like a square or rectangle with rounded corners, can you shed some light on this?

Pictures added:
As you can see in the two pictures, the fore end is oval shaped, with the black lined rectangle I indicated what I thought to be a more "normal" line for the stock. The photo is that of a Remington commemorative, it seems to have flat sides and bottom.

Kind regards, Louis

Dan in NY
03-30-2011, 12:28
Here's a Kokolus duplicate of a real USMC stock....before & after..hope it helps....It is a bit flat on the bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/218bee/M406.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/218bee/100_1288.jpg