PDA

View Full Version : 1903A1 USMC Unertl Sniper with documentation on GB

GA-Dave
03-16-2011, 01:04
Has anyone else seen this rifle on GB? Way out of my price range but interesting. I didn't realize Marines were serving in Europe in 44-45. The scope appears to be in better condition than the rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219524589

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-16-2011, 01:30
Lt JG Stoudt was in the Navy. Why was a Lt JG in the navy issued a Marine sniper rifle? VERY good question. What you have is a new scope and mounts on a well used rifle. Buyer beware, as paper is the easiest thing to fake.

jt

Johnny in Texas
03-16-2011, 09:17
This may be a USMC sniper receiver but it looks like a parts gun. Too many different wear patterns and patina. It is obvious the HG scope mounts and scope were put back on by a collector at some time in the last 30 years. Nice Black mount early 8X USMC scope. I read the Ad. but could not understand what documentation the rifles has with it.

GA-Dave
03-17-2011, 10:44
I think the documentation is a statement from the previous owner.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-17-2011, 04:31
All the Marine snipers were built from match or team rifles made to match standards and fitted with a Unertl scope that was to stay with that rifle. Someone tell me again that the rifle shown had that scope on it when it was new. That rifle should meet Match Rifle standards. Sure doesn't look like it will. Something is amiss here.

jt

mack
03-29-2011, 08:31
Not to be a parrot, but this rifle and scope do no go together unless the scope was stored separately for long periods of time (think decades!). I know very little of sniper 03's and wouldn't claim to, but this rifle is one thing and the scope another. And, they have only recently met one another.

1903shooter
04-02-2011, 04:15
I agree with Johnny. That is a put together plain as day. Look at the picture of the barrel date, even the finish on the front sight collar doesn't match and you can see the cross pin sticking out on the right side. The hand guard looks a lot 'newer' then the stock, no dings, fresher looking and the milling isn't correct. Both the front and rear scope blocks look brand new and there is finish wear on the top of the receiver on the surface area under the scope block, just exactly how could that be? I could go on and on but would be a waste of time. It's just a very poorly done copy at a ridiculous price.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
04-03-2011, 05:05
I agree with both of you, but some fool will buy it.

jt

Sean P Gilday
04-30-2011, 02:24
Not for nothing, other than a very few Marines in the OSS and ships det No Marines served in combat in France 1944-45. Hell the only Marine ashore at Normandy was a Staff Officer from Adm Moons staff at Utah Beach. Why a Navy Officer would be issued a A5 as part of his duties?