PDA

View Full Version : Late FN Model 98 Military Mauser Carbines; Values?

tndrfttom
03-15-2011, 05:25
I’m working on a trade with a friend and I’d like to get some opinions about the approximate value a “Moroccan” FN Model 98 carbine. I bought the FN carbine from SOG in 1996 so it has importer markings. It’s one of the ones chambered for 30-06. The carbine is in VG condition (perfect bore) with sling and cleaning rod – some blue wear and the handguard doesn’t match very well.
According to my reading this small batch of carbines are the last of the military M98 Mausers and were manufactured in the 1960’s. I bought it because I had been looking for a Dutch Police Carbine for years and this was the closest I was able to get. With its 17 inch barrel it’s impressive to shoot but now it’s time to move it along.

Has anyone seen one of these offered for sale lately? Any value guesstimates?

Liam
03-16-2011, 07:12
Unless the rifle's stock is adorned in gaudy Moroccan-style inlay (as is common on weapons from guards units at tourist sites), it's tough to prove Moroccan provenance. I've read they are marked merely with the FN markings - nothing denoting issuance to Moroccan military. How do you know it is of Moroccan issue? Photos are always appreciated too - especially photos of scarce/rare rifles.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/Liam_068/Morocco.jpg

tndrfttom
03-16-2011, 09:53
You'll note that I put "Moroccan" in quotes in my original post because, as you indicate, there is nothing on the carbine to show Moroccan issue. The guy I talked to at SOG when I bought the carbine indicated that they had been built for Morocco but had no written verification of same so I'm going on what he said and on my own reading/research. In any event, this is immaterial to me and the prospective buyer-we are just going on the assumption that its a nice little late production FN military carbine (and apparently pretty hard to find).
Thanks for your comments.

dave
05-06-2011, 12:26
All available info on these is they were made for Morrocco. Go to 'Gun Boards' site (google) on the 'military mauser' forum and ask your question. They have been discussed there often. Seem to remember 4-600 being mentioned but can not be sure.