PDA

View Full Version : RC with blued bore

Dad
03-15-2011, 10:05
The Russians blued the bore of my recently purchased RC K98k. Should I strip the blueing out of the bore or just leave it alone and shoot it off. :25:

The bore looks really nice with sharp grooves and lands and no pitting or corrosion that I can see, it just has that Russian blueing…….:icon_scratch:

D :1948:

kcw
03-16-2011, 07:29
When they were selling those M38 Turk Mausers about ten years ago I got one which, by dumb luck, was fresh rebarrel. At first glance however I thought that it had a "dark" bore, but that's what I sort of expected for the $50. Upon further investigation I found that it was a brand new barrel with old sights on it. Apparently there was no effort made to plug the bore when the barrel was blued.
I can't see the purpose in attempting to do anything other than to let the blue wear out by shooting. It doesn't effect accuracy, so why bother. I an amazed however as to how durable the blue is, at least the stuff the Turk's used. I figured that it would be gone after a few hundred rounds, but there's still some in there.

Dad
03-16-2011, 10:12
I will leave it alone. I figured it would help protect the bore from corrosion, but I just wanted to make sure. :icon_salut:

D :1948: