PDA

View Full Version : Interesting K98k

cwbuff
03-15-2011, 09:22
BCD 4 with no SN - see http://shop.pre98.com/product.sc?productId=543&categoryId=35

mike webb
03-16-2011, 07:42
I think I would be leary of that one. BCD4's were produced in 1944 and the action should have a serial, I think.

cwbuff
03-16-2011, 11:25
I've seen late K98s with SNs on the barrel but no SN on the receiver. I've not seen or heard of any with no SN in either of the those places. It does not make sense to put an SN on the bolt with none on the barrel or receiver. That said, I'm not an expert and thought someone here may know more.

leftyo
03-16-2011, 07:30
my BCD4 has the # on the barrel only. have no fear, the weimar rifles are good quality even through 1944.

oney
04-12-2011, 02:00
Just another variation to collect in the Gustloff arena. Speculation is that either these rifles were put together at the end of the war by GI's who liberated the Gustloff factory, or that the Germans were in such a hurry to get the rifles into the hands of the troops that they didn't bother serializing them. Okay... you are thinking bcd4, so that is a '44 rifle and the Germans should have still been stamping them with a number. Not believed to be so... speculation is that some of Gustloff's '45 production was made up using '44 dated receivers.

Not the first end of war production I have seen with out a S/N'd receiver... or no serial number at all. I have even seen one, which was a bcd4 that had a vet bringback pedigree.

There are some interesting folks over on Gunboards who have good answers for your question. There are also a few of the experts on GB that have put out a K98 book dealing w/ late war production. Suppposed to be 1 of a 3 volume set that is currently being written on the K98. I bought mine last year... and I am still wading through it. Alot of information... ALOT!

cwbuff
04-12-2011, 02:04
What is the name of the new K98 book?

mike webb
04-14-2011, 07:07
I think it's Kriegsmodell. I don't have it but it is supposed to be the best and most up to date reference book on late war K98k's.

oney
04-15-2011, 04:58
I think it's Kriegsmodell. I don't have it but it is supposed to be the best and most up to date reference book on late war K98k's.

That's it. The next book in progress I believe will cover the early production models of the 98k. If the next two are like the first, they will be wise investments for all interested in the 98k.

Sarge
04-19-2011, 11:41
Unnumbered 98ks are some where in the "Rare" catagory.
Years ago I had a vet bringback bcd 45 w/o ser nr on any part. It was "in the white" and the rear sight sleve had not been soldered on. It was in the original, but butchered stock. I sold it to a collector in Canada.
I currently have 2 unnumbered 98ks, a ce 43 and another I don't remember and can't find on my list of rifles.
Sarge