PDA

View Full Version : Duffle cuts--just for discussion

dave
03-10-2011, 10:21
It is always stated that these cuts were made to fit into a duffle bag. I do not have a ww11 bag and do not know the hieght when squared off and locked. But the barreld action is about 32" long, the stock is 39 3/4" long, about 38" if the bayo lug is removed. 6" difference! I would think a duffle bag is flexible enough to stuff that stock in w/o cutting it.

I do know that alll rifles were not brought home in DB's. I worked with a WW11, 3rd. Army tank crew guy who had one he sent home, I purchased it from him. It had a duffle cut. Now the upper stock was walnut while the rest was laminate. I asked him about this and he said 5-6 guys all sat around and took their rifle apart and packed them up in the heavy tubes that the tank gun ammo came in and mailed them home. Said he must have picked up the wrong part--an explaination which could also account for m/m bolts and other parts. I own a Heer marked 41 Port. rifle, all matched except for a very early style upper band (1936-37) and the TG group which is matched to itself AND the band! I believe most bring backs are really sent-backs. (I have no proof the Port. is a bring back, may be early import.)

mike webb
03-10-2011, 11:46
I think the accepted reason for all the mismatched bolt bringbacks is believable. Surrendered rifles were piled up in the field with bolts removed to render them inoperable in case any members of the master race had a change of heart and decided to go out in a blaze of glory. Soldiers after a souvenir simply picked up a Mauser and grabbed a bolt from the pile. Obviously a guy couldn't spend all day rooting through a pile of bolts to find the matching serial number.

dave
03-12-2011, 06:20
I am sure thay did happen in the majority of cases, after all soldiers could hardly lug around a "battle field pick-up" while in combat, probably had no interest in gun collecting at that time! I am just saying that we will never know for sure the how, why, of a bring-back.

Michaelp
03-14-2011, 04:10
Raised around vets and being a vet, I pay no attention to bring back tales other than for story value.

Nobody ever will know for sure.

I got a drilling and a C96 rig from a vet who said an old man handed them to him on the way to a turn in point in a village.

Duffle cut is just the term that has evolved to cover the subject.
Duffle bags contained all one's belongings when transferring or separating.

I got a G33/40 that was mailed home-disassembled it was short enough for regs of the time with no butchering..
Most believable tale I ever heard.