PDA

View Full Version : 1935 8mm cleaning kit - German - MUNDLOS

Gandydancer
03-07-2011, 03:41
This cleaning kit was with a Mod.98 German Mauser. It is stamped with the MUNDLOS factory name and 1935 also an eagle over WaAz1s (as best I can make it out.) Kit includes chain (stamped M and eagle over 219), oiler (with all its' working springs and seals), oiling brush, cleaning brush, and floorplate removal/chamber cleaning tool (stamped MUNDLOS 1935.) The compartment for cleaning chords was empty. Any information about this kit including any value it may have would be appreciated.

5MadFarmers
03-07-2011, 04:30
Mind you I'm not an expert on those. Here is what I can tell you regards that one and them in general. Random stream of consciousness on the matter.

The brass tabs are unique to earlier ones.
The "spoon" thing was dropped later.
There are variations in the chains.
The oilers and chains are sometimes marked and sometimes not.
You're missing the cleaning "cords." Similar to "patches" in US parlance but pretty different. The side of the can that is shallow is for the cords. Think yarn but denser. I have 1 kit with originals.
Getting the oiler, spoon, and chain into the kit is a PITA.
Later editions, after they'd left Africa from what I recall, are sometimes painted desert yellow. Slow pipeline?
Some late oilers aren't metal. Some type of Bakelite is my guess at the material.

Mudlos and G. Appel are the two big makers. Both via Berlin. CNX rings a bell as another? Early ones had names with the latter ones having codes so perhaps CNX is Mudlos or Appel.

That's what I know.

People will quote all kinds of values for them but I've never paid more than $12 yet have over a dozen. They do get more with that spoon.

I often find them with GI stuff inside. M3 brushes and such.

I think they're kind of neat. I typically don't collect furriner stuff but those are too cool to pass by when I snag them cheap.

Gandydancer
03-16-2011, 01:40
The kit has been sold. Thanks for your help.