PDA

View Full Version : Wtk: Are switchblades legal to sell/own?

SPEEDGUNNER
03-01-2011, 04:46
This may not be the right spot to ask this question but this (CSP) is the only place I hang out that has a dedicated knife forum. Are switchblades legal to own or sell? I just got a bunch of knives and there are a few switchblades (Spring action knives?) in the bunch I would like to move along. I'd like to know before I offer them up and get slapped.

Thanks.

Dan Shapiro
03-01-2011, 06:49
Depends on the state. Other than just calling the local PD and asking, just Google (State Name + Switchblade + Law + possession). Some allow them, others generally prohibit a pocket knife with a blade more than 2 1/2 or 3 inches that can be opened by a button/spring or by gravity (flicking the wrist).

Griff Murphey
03-01-2011, 07:18
I have not looked at the Texas code on these in a while but it used to prohibit them, but it also allowed possession by a legitimate "collector." So guess if you have ten knives in Texas, one of them a switchblade; you are good.

Art
03-01-2011, 08:38
Texas still prohibits them as do most states.

It's always been funny to me that these days its pretty easy to carry a pistol in most states but edged weapons designed for defense are almost universally forbidden.

A high quality switchblade isn't cheap but if they were legal here I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Michael Tompkins
03-02-2011, 09:25
I brought a couple home with me when I was stationed over-seas. One was from W. Germany and one was from Italy. The one from W. Germany is about 8" long open. The one from Italy is extremely well-made and cost more than the other one. It has brass grips and fully open it only measures 2" long. It is meant to hang on a key chain. The blade opens so fast when you press the button that you can't see it move with the naked eye. Mike

Dan Shapiro
03-02-2011, 10:02
Yeah, there are times when 'the law can be an a$$'. Carrying a concealed and loaded firearm is a misdemeanor. Carrying a billy club or a 'dirk or dagger' is a felony. Go figure.

kcw
03-02-2011, 11:38
New York Penal Code @ 265.20 allows for the possession of a switchblade or gravity knife while lawfully hunting, fishing or trapping. How you would come about getting one however is a mystery as they can't be sold in the state.

IditarodJoe
03-03-2011, 06:53
In New Hampshire that archaic law was repealed last year. In NH you can now purchase, own, and carry any sort of knife you choose, including a switchblade. (Why anyone would want to totally escapes me.) Maine, on the other hand, still lives in their 1950s "Rebel Without A Cause" induced fantasy world, but frankly I think we have bigger fish to fry here at the moment.

John Sukey
03-08-2011, 05:43
Why would anyone want one? Pilots would, it's part of the survival kit. After you land without your blowjet, you may only have one good arm to free yourself from the tree you're hanging from by your shroud lines.:icon_wink:

Art
03-08-2011, 05:57
In New Hampshire that archaic law was repealed last year. In NH you can now purchase, own, and carry any sort of knife you choose, including a switchblade. (Why anyone would want to totally escapes me.) Maine, on the other hand, still lives in their 1950s "Rebel Without A Cause" induced fantasy world, but frankly I think we have bigger fish to fry here at the moment.

I can tell you why, when the ship hits the sand, as my old daddy would say, a smooth cocealable knife that snaps open with the simple push of a button could be really good to have. As I said, if it was legal to purchase/carry one in Texas I would own a high quality "switch," emphasis on high quality because most of them are junk.

Griff Murphey
03-08-2011, 07:26
What the Texas law does is prohibit switchblades under article 46.05, but then it says: "(d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct: (1) was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio..."

I think that means you can have one in your collection of "arms" but then, I'm not an attorney. I think it also means you cannot carry one for protection.

Art
03-08-2011, 09:45
What the Texas law does is prohibit switchblades under article 46.05, but then it says: "(d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct: (1) was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio..."

I think that means you can have one in your collection of "arms" but then, I'm not an attorney. I think it also means you cannot carry one for protection.

That's exactly what it means. The defense is the reason people in Texas can also own swords, maces, daggers and battle axes, just don't walk down main street with one.

Griff Murphey
03-09-2011, 04:45
This subject has come up as being an impediment to setting up a vintage battle rifle match requiring the use of a bayonet over part of the COF ... in Texas.

da gimp
03-09-2011, 08:42
Just gave/sold my old Bokker to a deputy here in Mo. You can possess one in a collection, but carrying one (if not police , emergency services/1st responders while on duty) is forbidden.Still have several in the safe, but wouldn't carry one now here, not worth the headaches.

da gimp

m1nut
03-09-2011, 04:04
California will allow you to have one, "in your home as a collector". Don't take it out anywhere and don't sell them in California, just own one. How do you do that?