PDA

View Full Version : M1D Repro for Vintage Sniper Match?

El Paso Mark
02-23-2011, 02:35
Greetings all. Not sure which forum would be better to post the following in so also posted it in the M1/M14 forum. Sorry if thats a bother.

The CMP Vintage Sniper Match sounds fun and interesting. Alas, I can't afford a "Real" M1C/D or '03 sniper. So was wondering about putting one together (M1) based on a CMP M1D. The description says they come with "The scope base which is part of the barrel assembly." How difficult would it be for someone (Say DGR Dean) to rebarrel the rifle and reinstall the scope base?

What additional parts would be required, and what's the availability of those parts?

Would this be an "Easy" (Although perhaps somewhat costly) project? I know only I can answer if it's worth it, but how about opinions? Worth it? Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark

Maury Krupp
02-23-2011, 03:05
As the owner of an ersatz-M1D built when it seemed like a good idea, I'd say the answer is "No, it's not worth it :("

For an M1D you need a rifle, a barrel you don't mind giving up, barrel block, special rear handguard, scope mount, cheekpad, and an M82 or M84 scope. An M2 or M37 flash hider/supressor is optional (for looks; they don't help and usually hurt accuracy).

Parts (or chicom copies) are or were fairly easy to come by; with CMP's Sniper Match that may be even more true now.

Most of the usual suspects will do the barrel turning and block mounting. That's really about all there is to it (which was John Garand's intent when he designed it).

When you're all done you've taken a comfortable, well balanced, easy to shoot, naturally pointing rifle with excellent iron sights and thrown roughly $1500 at it to turn it into an awkward, lopsided, neck cramping kludge of a rifle with a crummy 2.25x-3/4in scope that's no more accurate than it was before you started and has absolutely no collector value.

All for one or two 30-shot matches per year :icon_scratch:

For the Sniper Match I'd look at the other options. Maybe an old sporterized '03 that could be converted into an '03A4 or even an Mosin-Nagant if you can find the right scope.

Maury

Griff Murphey
02-23-2011, 07:59
Hey Maury:
Just read your response. I replied over on the M-1 site and said pretty much the same thing... independently before seeing yours. But I may have been low on the price....

Griff Murphey

joem
02-24-2011, 05:13
I bought one at auction over ten years ago and it shoots very well with my reloads and 174 grain bullets. I don't know if it's original or not, but i don't care either.

El Paso Mark
02-24-2011, 11:37
Thanx guys, I appreciate the input. Maury- That's hilarious! I was thinking about buying and using one of the CMP M1D's but, oh well, it was an exciting and interesting thought (To me) for awhile. Seems like a pricey project with limited returns so will pass. I do have an original, authentic 91/30 sniper w/PU scope that I can use but thought the M1 would be a better (More accurate) rifle.

Cheers,

Mark