PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of a D.S.S. Form 158?

kcw
02-16-2011, 12:22
I served as executor for my late uncle's estate back in 2007. He was a WWII, drafted in June 41, serving until DEC. 45.
I was recently going through some more his old papers and found a D.S.S. Form 158 "Appointment of Leader or Assistant Leader - Office of the Director of Selective Service - To Whom It May Concern", with his name on it.
Apparently this relates to the intiial transporting of draftees from their hometown , via train or bus, to point of induction. It looks like this form authorizes some lucky soul in the group to act as the lawfully appointed "Leader" , someone else as "Assistant", by authority of the local draft board. It seems my uncle was the "winner".
The reverse side, "Instructions To Leader or Assistant Leader" details the responsibilities of the assignment, including keeping the group together, maintaining order, bringing in law enforcment if needed, keeping track of the paperwork related to the groups' transport, lodging and food, ect.
We have family photos of the local group boarding the train, looks like they had enough for a carfull with just them.
Anybody else ever heard of this practice? Was it something done during subsequent mass callups? Korea? Nam?

Michaelp
02-16-2011, 01:56
When I enlisted in 1966, I was appointed the samething-don't remember anything other than being given a roster.
I might even still have this come to think of it.
They asked if anyone had any prior service or ROTC time.
Like a fool I admitted to a year of ROTC and I was "it."

It had no real meaning that I am aware of and any significance vanished once we got to BCT at Ft Polk.

Just a formality that lingered from some forgotten time or event.

Dan Shapiro
02-16-2011, 01:57
When we got on the bus at the LA induction center, one of the clerk's handed a large sealed manila envelope to one of the guys seated up front. His only directions were, 'Give this to the reception center personnel at Fort Ord'. Nothing about being 'a leader'.

phil441
02-16-2011, 07:50
Pulled that duty in 1961. Traveling by train from Basic at Lackland AFB to Denver, Colo. The Leader and I (assistant leader) actually had a room/cabin/whatever for the trip. Our job was to guard the box of records and act as guards at any stops along the way. We were to keep all the troops within a certain distance of the rail car. Wouldn't ya know it, our one stop where we could get off was in my home town! The pay phone I could see was out of bounds. Bummer.......