PDA

View Full Version : Where were you on 11 Feb. 1971?

Nick Riviezzo
02-10-2011, 09:00
Back in Aug,2010 I posted a "Possible story to come" Please go back and read that background on page 2 this forum before you read "the rest of the story"
This is long although I have left a bunch out for brevity.
I received a letter from Bob Bunney my aero scout crewchief after many years of trying to locate him. His overriding question was what happened on 11 Feb. 1971? He said he remembered us taking off but nothing after that. All he had to go by was the Citation for the Distinguished Flying Cross he received some time later.Well, after meetng FTF and many calls we have ironed out the details.
I want you all to know that the DFC is not common for enlisted crew,a deal I never quite understood, and this was not the first valorious award I put him in for. He received an Air Medal with "V" device [V for valor] in October preceding this action.
Well here goes.
Sp/4 Bob Bunney spent most of the day in great pain and unconscious. Unconscious due to Gods' mercy and occassional assist from the anesthetic value of a .45 auto applied to the side of his head.We had no morphine and the North Vietnamese [NVA] were nearly walking on us.[I agonized for years hoping I had done no serious damage. Thank God he is no crazier now than he was then!]
It was the time of "Lam Son 719" and my Air Cav Troop was tasked to screen the northern flank of an Engineer unit trying to drive an alternate route to QL 9[Viet National Highway] through the "punchbowl"out to Khe Sahn. My OH-58 Light Aero Scout aircraft was conductiong a low level recon of an area just south of the DMZ called "Rocket Ridge" So called because that is where most of our rocket attacks on Quang Tri came from.
It was about 0730 when we went up the ridgeback the first time and we took tremendous anti-aircraft machinegun fire[12.7 mm sometimes called"51s"]. Fortunately,in spite of extremely close range[3 - 30 meters] and Spec.4 Bunneys' suppressive fire they did not hit us and we escaped down the hill[approx. 1800-2000 feet]with only our feathers ruffled.
After an hour and a half of calling in artillery and tac. air strikes we could see that that was not working. The top of that ridge was solid granite and not more than 20 yards wide at the most and as little as ,maybe 5 yards at the narrowest. All the ordinance was falling off the sides and doing little,if any, damage to the NVA gun emplacements.
So, we got the call to go back up and do a bomb damage assessment run.[BDA] I told my copilot and crew chief that this was a "fools mission" and if they wanted to get out and wait for me nothing would be said to them.[At the time we were sitting in a secure re-arm refuel point].
The Co-pilot was taking his "Area of Operations Check" with me in the co-pilots/observer seat doing the eval.So, he wanted to go and Bob Bunney in the back said,"they shot at us now I'm gonna give them bast**ds some back". So like three little pigs off we go to "market" Needless to say, they put the first round up through the belly and engine at a range of about 5 feet! I was looking into the eyes of that gunner when I silenced him but mutually supporting positions opened up on all quadrants riddling our aircraft with fire. Sp4 Bunney, in order to expand his fields of fire was HANGING OUT of the aircfaft on a fully extended seat belt laying extremely accurate fire on the right side of the aircraft thus reducing the volume of small arms and A/A fire we were taking.I covered the left side until I had to take the controls for the emergency landing.[autorotation] We went down a very steep ravine until I could go no further with our rotor decaying out of safe limits and the sides were so narrow that I barely had blade clearence while still 300- 400 feet above the bottom. A 215 foot tree was directly in front and my only real option was to try to land in the tree[you know it isn't going to stay there but it does help to cushion to the ground!]
The aircraft turned upside down and backwards when it finally got to the ground.The co-pilot was unconcious 'til I started pulling on him and he came too.[he had fainted,as is common under those conditions] Bunney was also unconcious but had a very severe leg injury.I thought that the ammo box or the grenade box or whatever flying around during the crash sequence might have caused some of that damage. I found out later that not only was that the case but Bunney,while hanging out of the aircraft had taken a 7.62 round in that same leg.
The copilot and I carried Bob about 50 yards to a rock outcropping and set up a hasty defense position. I went back to the aircraft to salvage the M-60 machine gun, some ammo and a few grenades. When I went back the 3rd time there were NVA soldiers standing around and on the belly shooting at a gunship overhead. I used my grenade to try to destroy the aircraft and them and went back to our little defense position.
Backtracking, I know the tree was 215 feet because that evening when I finally got a med.evac in he had 215 feet of cable on his hoist.I sent two KIA and six WIA up that hoist and had to walk out with a squad of our Aero-Rifle Platoon grunts.
I have'nt mentioned the UH-1 that was shot down trying to get troops on the ground to help save us.[ hence the number of med evacs mentioned above],nor have I mentioned the gunfights during the day with probing patrols, these are different stories perhaps for another time.
This was to be Bobs story and I hope I haven't under sold him in trying to make this as complete and as brief as possible. So, let me end it this way for now.
I don't know where you were on 11Feb.1971, but I do know where Bob Bunney was and what he did. He fought with courage and valor against overwhelming odds to try to protect his aircraft, my crew and me.
Thanks Bob for saving our bacon that day.
HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSARY BOB , tomorrow is YOUR DAY. Nick

PS; Bob received not only the DFC that day but also was awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received in combat. NR

lonewoolf
02-10-2011, 08:44
Thank you

JohnMOhio
02-10-2011, 09:14
Nice tribute Nick to a fellow comrade in arms. Thank you for your service also.

TomSudz
02-11-2011, 06:41
I was probably in kindergarden! But I was safe and happy- and I appreciate that. Thanks.

Sarge
02-14-2011, 11:51
Glad he survived and is not to much worse for wear!
On that day I was in Fitzsimons Army Hospital in Aurora, Colo.
My bad day was Easter Sunday morning - 29 Mar 70 at Chi Lang Spceial Forces Camp in SW IV Corps.
Sarge

Nick Riviezzo
02-15-2011, 03:50
Sarge, Glad you were able to survive it.From Mar'70 to Feb.'71, nearly a year in medical treatment! Hope all turned out OK for you. Thanks for your service. Nick

Sarge
02-16-2011, 01:20
I actually spent 14 months & 3 operations in the hospital. then they **** canned me!
Disability retirement in Sep 71.
Today I would have been allowed to stay on active duty - the current Army has NO idea how lucky they are!!! I envy them greatly! Guess I was just one war to early. :icon_rolleyes:
Sarge

snafu_72
03-05-2011, 06:10
God Bless you for your service and thanks for being there for your buddies.
I had my 14th birthday on 2-11-1971 so I would have been in 8th grade.

Michaelp
03-05-2011, 11:26
I had been out the army 5 1/2 months and was a partying fool.
I stayed n an extra year in order to extend in RVN, but I had had all of that regimentation I wanted in my 47 months. Never looked back.
I still consider the service as a mandatory right of passage for males, though.

Art
03-05-2011, 09:46
I was in my 4th full semester at L.S.U. where I went on the G.I. bill. I was also actively courting the woman I would eventually marry.

Nick Riviezzo
04-09-2011, 05:16
Wow, over 1000 reads! I am surprised that there aren't more replies though.More replies coming in now THANK YOU ALL ! Nick

5MadFarmers
04-09-2011, 05:10
Wow, nearly 500 reads! I am surprised that there aren't more replies though. Thanks for the views. Nick

Well, in fairness to us it was a pretty intense experience you related. I can't think of what we'd reply with other than "note to self: don't piss off Nick."

I'm glad he came out ok. That is if anyone really comes out of that ok. Kind of changes your view of what's important I'd say.

Nick Riviezzo
04-10-2011, 04:30
5mad farmers,That was not "Nicks story" it was Bobs. Nicks story has yet to be published and may not be. But what I was talking about for replies are those like the early ones here. Who was in the hospital, mustering out, in training, already "in country" etc. I was/am trying to draw out stories of some of the fellas here. Their experiences may never be shared if they don't come forward. It, like our earlier vets stories,is history and it is dying fast. For instance, the Huey co-pilot that I sent up the hoist that day got out of the Army just after that experience and went to Univ. Of Northern Colorado to get his Masters Degree. The sad part is,my fiancee was getting her Masters there at the same time and I was stationed at Ft.Carson about one hour away. I didn't know that until this past Jan. Another opportunity lost, more's the pity.BTW; your note to self should be,"don't scare the heck out of Nick" scout helicopter pilots are not too stabile to begin with! Ha! Regards, Nick

Big_Al
04-20-2011, 10:26
On 11 feb, 1971 I was home, having left Quang Tri Province and the 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) in late Sept 1970. Otherwise I would have been there with you, as the Red Devils were tasked with opening up Highway 9 past Khe Sahn to the Laotian border. The Engineer unit you were covering was most likely A company, 7th engineers, 1st BDE, 5th Inf. I was in the 75th Support Battalion, my hootch was not far from the airstrip on Quang Tri Combat Base.
Welcome Home, my freind.

Nick Riviezzo
04-20-2011, 02:48
Welcome home yourself Big Al, we were there at the same time. Yes, we were ,at that time, part of the Fifth Division.Thank you for your input, it's the only way we can piece together the little pieces of everyones memorys to paint a full picture. Thanks for YOUR service during a trying and deadly time. Nick

Big_Al
04-20-2011, 05:00
Nick, do you belong to The Society Of The Fifth Division? If not, come join us. Look around the Fifth's site, there's a lot there. http://www.societyofthefifthdivison.com/
Thank you for your kind words.

Nick Riviezzo
04-21-2011, 03:50
I didn't know there was one, Thanks for the tip. Nick

Big_Al
04-21-2011, 06:09
I didn't know there was one, Thanks for the tip. Nick
OOOPS! Sorry about the link not working, I made a misspelling. Try http://www.societyofthefifthdivision.com/
In our recent newsletter it was mentioned that we need to reach out to all who wore the Red Diamond in war and peace and let them know about the Society. We are the oldest military unit organization with a continued existance from it's founding in 1919 to the present day. We have held a reunion/convention annually from the beginning, every Labor Day weekend. It is held at various locations around the country, this year in Alexandria, Virginia. Next year it will be in Atlanta.
I have been a member for a number of years, and as a military history buff it was a true pleasure to meet, talk to, and become friends with the WWII guys. sadly, each year there are fewer that are able to attend.
Dues are only $15 per year, which is a steal compared to other veterans organizations. There is a quarterly newsletter included.

Sarge
04-22-2011, 12:26
Nick, do you belong to The Society Of The Fifth Division? If not, come join us. Look around the Fifth's site, there's a lot there. http://www.societyofthefifthdivison.com/[/url] Thank you for your kind words.

I guess I am eligable to join the 5.Div Assoc. I came to Carson in May 68 with the 69th Inf Bde, Ks Army NG. We became the defacto 4th Bde of the 5.ID to cover for the 1st Bde in VN.
I didn't stick around long - reenlisted for SF in Sept and left for Ft Brag in Okt 68.
Sarge

Nick Riviezzo
04-22-2011, 05:04
Coming back from my last tour in RVN [1970-1971] I went to Carson but it was 4TH div. then. Nick

Big_Al
04-22-2011, 10:34
If you wore the Red Diamond you are eligible. And we'd like to hear from anyone who did.

JohnPeeff
04-23-2011, 06:31
I'd been back from Vietnam 22 months and was fighting a new war on the San Francisco State College campus against war protesters and communist professors. $130 a month GI Bill. It is hard to believe now that there was such a concentration of idiots and traitors all in one place. I held my own.

Big_Al
04-25-2011, 07:16
Nick - the Fifth Division website has extensive records relating to Lam Son 719. Glancing thru the Combat After Action Report there are numerous references to 3-5, the entry for 11 Feb has D/3-5 aiding extraction of a downed aircraft, the entry for 12 Feb shows 3/C/3-5 in action including one US WIA.
There are many more entries. The entire CAAR is 38 pages. To see it go to the main LS 719 page, scroll down to bottom, click on the box marked Lam Son 719 Part 2. I have not read all of the various reports listed under the other boxes, but there's plenty there. Credit goes to our Historian Keith Short for compiling this extensive record. Keith was involved in LS 719 with 1-11 Infantry and is a true asset to The Society Of The Fifth Division
Go here: http://www.societyofthefifthdivision.com/vietnam/lamson719a.htm

C5M1
05-14-2011, 07:26
Was stuck on FB Brick until the end of Feb 71.

Boy, do I miss the smell of wet and rotting sandbags, urine and burning sh!t. ( typed in a half serious tone)

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/c5m1/Vietnam062.jpg

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/c5m1/Vietnam063.jpg

regards, dennis

Rick
05-14-2011, 11:15
I was out of the service by then expecting the second child who came on May 15 of that year.

Nick Riviezzo
05-15-2011, 03:35
Big_Al, I've printed the Application Form and am considering the Life Member at the 61-69 years of age[I might be able to afford that one]. Actually, their rates are reasonable. I do thank you for pointing this Organization out to me. I have special rememberences of my short time with the 5th.[ we were 3/17 Air Cav. until the colors swap to 3/5 Cav. on 1 Feb 1971] BTW: If anyone has any 3/5 Cav. brass, crossed sabers with 5 above and 3 below the sabers,that they are willing to part with I really would like two pieces. General Hill, then Commanding,personally gave me one piece to wear home since I was the first to DEROS under his own power after Lam Son kicked off. Thanks again, WE WILL!, Nick

comm pogue
05-16-2011, 06:36
i was at Camp Pendleton with Schools Bn comm support Delmar 21 area. I worked with Amtracs P5s,105s and M48s. even as a pogue very familiar with Quang Tri province. any of you Army guys in "dusters"?. C5M1, if it it would make you feel better, you could poop in a steel bucket, and pour in some kerosene ,then set it on fire. Semper Fi

C5M1
05-16-2011, 06:47
C5M1, if it it would make you feel better, you could poop in a steel bucket, and pour in some kerosene ,then set it on fire. Semper Fi[/QUOTE]

Now thats funny!!!!!... Also, Have to make sure it's completely full and stir it occasionally.

regards, dennis

Nick Riviezzo
05-17-2011, 03:56
If you all are into outhouse humor go back to page 3,third posting at the start of this forum. Titled "D.I. is an Important Title". Maybe a little chuckle there if you haven't read it before. I had pictures of this but lost them in the flood of 1990,still I can see in my minds eye this "banty rooster" lording it over all the "lesser than equal hogs". Nick

snafu_72
07-03-2011, 05:55
That was my 14th birthday. I remember being riveted to the news on a daily basis, listening to the reports and reading the stories about those brave men and women who lost their lives in SE Asia.

Nick Riviezzo
09-05-2011, 12:18
Well, I am astounded that Bobs' story is nearly 1600 views. As an aside Bob and I and a bunch of other guys from "Charley Horse"[C Troop 3/17 Air Cav converted on 1Feb 1971 to D Troop 3/5 Cav.]Will be meeting for a reunion, after 40 years in Savanna, Ga. in Oct. That should be a HOOT!. Nick

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
12-17-2011, 09:42
I was in I Corps, making friends.

jt

Ken The Kanuck
12-17-2011, 10:11
Thanks for sharing Nick, and thank you, Bob and all the other veterans for their service.

KTK

lonegunman762x51
01-20-2012, 01:36
3rd grade with Mrs. McCollum, it was afternoon recess.

Nick Riviezzo
02-10-2012, 12:59
Well, here we are 41 years later and Bob, Joe[the pilot I was checking out] and Mel[the copilot in the Huey]are alive and well. Probably the crowning achievement of my military career was sending those guys up the jungle penetrator to be Med Evac'ed out.All three were sent to hospitalss in the States, all three went on to live normal lives[if you can call Bobs decision to join the Navy and become a nuke sub-mariner normal!] I'm proud of all of those young men. Nick

charliehorse11
08-30-2012, 11:11
Well??? let me think. O yea I was flying a scuot over your sorry ass wondering how in the fk any of you could still be alive
Wayne Forbes

snafu_72
08-31-2012, 05:15
That was my 14th birthday. I was a freshman in high school. Lets just say I wasn't a lady killer.

Nick Riviezzo
08-31-2012, 01:02
Charlie Horse 11, Wayne you rascal I had hoped to see you at the reunion in OCT.Thanks for the cover,you and several others helped keep the NVA off of us.PM or e-mail me I'd love to hear from you. Scouts Out! Nick

Nick Riviezzo
08-29-2014, 02:37
Well, here we are again, I have been off the site for a long time. Please disregard my postings in amazement for how many viewings there have been . Today[ 29AUG '14] I was astounded to see 6645 views. I won't be updating that again! Scoop, a couple of months ago Bob re-married [I'm not saying how many] He got lucky, this one will keep him straight! He finally got a disability settlement with the VA hey, 43 years ain't bad huh? His daughter graduated from Clemson this year one of his sons joined the Navy, and I'm beginning to believe these things were some of why the Good Lord blessed me with survival. No brag, just the facts.[at least as I see them]. Please remember to keep the troops here, and abroad, in your prayers.I pray you all will be politically active in the coming 27 months. I say 27 because after the 2016 elections we will still have that "Pariah" in the White House 'til Inauguration Day plus time needed to exterminate "The Peoples House" God bless America and the American Way. Nick

cplnorton
08-31-2014, 11:19
I was just still a twinkle in my Dad's eye. I wasn't born until 1980.

snafu_72
12-25-2014, 01:46
I was born on February 11th and on that day I turned 14. I was in the 8th grade at the time and watched Walter Cronkite on the CBS News tell us every day about the war in Viet Nam. A big thank you to all those who served overseas during that terrible period in our history. The more I read about that era the more disillusioned I become about our political leaders, their agendas, and the positions they put our military in to further their aims against communism.

Nick Riviezzo
02-21-2015, 03:13
44 years and [I hope] continuing to count. Could anyone be more proud of these guys that I was able to help survive? I was only the instrument of a higher power that gave me the strength, the power, and the hard headedness to survive. Note to all, it is a bad idea to pi$$ off a scared as hell scout pilot with few options. Another note: God Bless John M. Browning because, with out his genius we would all be dead today. Thanks to all who have read "Bob's Story". Nick