PDA

View Full Version : How about this Colt then?

PhillipM
02-04-2011, 09:18
The only thing that concerns me is the round count, other than that what's everyone's opinion of this rifle for sale locally? It seems to have all the improvements mentioned a stock Colt needs. I'm not married to Colt, I just got this in an email. What does he mean by hardened pins to prevent the sight to twist?

I have an AR-15 service rifle for sale if you know anyone that is looking for a good rifle.

Colt Competition H-Bar
Custom Features:
Douglas heavy match barrel
free float handguard tube to eliminate sling tension on barrel
Compass Lake Engineering (Frank White) two-stage trigger
White Oak Precision (John Holliger) 1/4 x 1/4 minute rear sights with hooded aperature. These sights ride on two hardened steel pins similar to the Warner Match Rifle sight and eliminate the "twist" seen with other AR sights.
Front sight adjustable for windage with set screws
Lead weights in handguard and buttstock
Four 20-round magazines included
This would be a great rifle for a new shooter or someone wanting to upgrade. I can provide load data for 69, 77 and 80 grain bullets and have some accessories if those are needed. Approximately 2,000 rounds fired.

Price: $1,100

pmclaine
02-04-2011, 12:31
Going off my understanding of Garand barrels I'd think the barrel should go at least to 5-6K rounds before accuracy may start to drop. With my skills I could shoot many more rounds beyond the 6K and whatever the degradation of the barrel it would not exceed my meager abilities to hold.

da gimp
02-08-2011, 08:06
it really depends on how the barrel was cleaned too.

dzelenka
02-15-2011, 07:55
Button Rifled AR barrels don't last as long. Most last between 3,500 and 4,000 rounds before they begin to lose X count at 600 yards. They will shoot 200 and 300 for a couple thousand more rounds after that.

You will want to replace the trigger with a RRA or Geissele. The Frank White trigger is very old technology and they have issues at the most inopportune time (like losing the first stage).