PDA

View Full Version : S.o.s

armorkav
01-30-2011, 06:25
Just made S.OS. for breakfast, if you havent done so lately, I advise it. Within minutes of announcing it on facebook my old first sergeant wanted to know if eggs and coffee would be served. I told him No!

mike24d20
01-30-2011, 10:35
You should of had him come over an served him SOS with a dirty field sock in it.

joem
01-31-2011, 05:11
My mother used to make it with hamburger served on toast. Wife makes it with chipped beef. Good meal.

phil441
01-31-2011, 08:59
I'd be happy to cook a SOS breakfast with eggs and coffee for my old TI. He took a naive kid and aimed him in a new direction. AF paper pushers screwed that naive airman over a bunch of times, but the TI is still a hero.

BlitzKrieg
02-05-2011, 10:22
I grew up on the stuff. Anyone got the recipe? My copy of mothers recipe is long gone.

I can remember cold miserable mornings in the field and being slopped a huge laddle of steaming SOS onto a frozen piece of toast by the mess team. That cured all my problems
for the immediate moments.

I also remember green scrambled eggs coming out of the mermite conatainers. Tasted great with the SOS.

I miss green eggs !

armorkav
02-05-2011, 07:59
Honesyly, I just googled it and pulled up thefirst one that seemed right. And it was. Happy hunting

Hap Rocketto
02-06-2011, 01:47
Serves six to eight
½ pound ground beef (ground chuck for flavor)
1-tablespoon bacon fat (lard/Crisco or butter)
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups whole milk (add more milk if you want it thinner)
1/8-teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 slice of dry toast per serving

Using a large skillet (12-14 inches), crumb1e and brown the ground beef with fat and salt. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool slightly. Mix in the flour until all of the meat is covered, using all of the flour. Replace the skillet on the heat and stir in the milk. Keep stirring until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens (boil a minimum of one minute).

Serve over the toast. Salt and pepper to taste.

Nick Riviezzo
02-07-2011, 06:41
Do a search right here on this Service Life Forum. There are several recipes posted from a long previous discussion.The recipe that hap posted[#7] above is the one I posted sometime ago. It is the best I found if you prefer ground beef[I do].Google "Marine Corps Recipes" for that one and the story of how it came to be.Don't forget to Google "Creamed Beef on Toast"as well as SOS. In my opinoin, the recipe above is best when Crisco and 1 1/2 cups of milk is used. I also saute onion and garlic[to taste] then add the ground beef, Crisco and salt to the skillet.Don't forget to add the essential ingredient after serving,of course, I'm talking Tabasco sauce[no immitations] I love bacon grease for many things but it gives a different flavor to SOS.I don't like to use butter because it burns too easily and I don't have any lard laying around.BTW; I am not a Marine,but I never turned my nose up at them.They were very helpful during my Army career. Enjoy! Nick