PDA

View Full Version : Colt rifles in competition

PhillipM
01-26-2011, 07:29
Someone local is offering a Colt National Match with a bunch of magazines and a 250 round count for $1000. I don't know if National Match means the MT6700 with 1:9 twist or the MT6601 H-Bar with 1:7 twist. How popular are Colt's on the firing line? Do the odd size trigger/hammer pins cause any issues?

I'm considering it because I can do a face to face sale without 4473's, shipping, FFL transfers, tax, etc.

John Kepler
01-26-2011, 10:15
While Colts aren't usually anyone's "first choice"....there's nothing wrong with them other than ambivalent barrel quality and the price-tag. The pin sizes aren't that big an issue since all the major replacement trigger manufacturers make large pin triggers just for the Colt. One large ain't that good a price IMNHO though , considering that you've probably got to buy a trigger, a barrel, and a float tube to get it to shoot.

PhillipM
01-27-2011, 02:49
Thanks for your input, John. I didn't know about the barrel and no float tube.

jem102
01-30-2011, 07:48
I started in HP with a Colt H-bar because a local dealer had 4 of them and couldn't sell them so he let them go for $750.00. As near as I could tell it was made in 1998 and the barrel is 1:7 and "I" understand at that time the barrels came from ER Shaw.
It shot well out of the box so I took it to CLE and had him put his trigger, float tube and 1/2 rear sight on it. Accuracy got better as I shot it and from 2,000-3,500+ was good for sub MOA with 69's & 75 A-Max's. Along the way I put a Jewell trigger in and shot my way to expert with several low 750's in the book. About 4,200 rounds in it started to fall off @ 600 but still very good short line with the 69's.

As to receiver quality and "parts" IMO Colt is second to none if mine was typical. I did replace the carrier because at that time Colt was milling the carrier all the back and I wanted the full mass.

However, if I had 1K to spend I would be talking to WOP/CLE. A factory H-bar, with what will remain to be done to be competitive, just isn't worth it if you want a good Highpower gun. For $1,200-1,400 you can go top line.
That's my 2C and what I did for my second rifle.

Griff Murphey
01-30-2011, 05:07
I have Colt HBAR and have been told a competition trigger cannot be fitted due to the politically-motivated factory mods to the receiver that were in vogue in the early 90's. I don't want anyone to do any grinding that might be... shall we say, "misconstrued." Have I been given wrong info? The trigger on my gun is really AWFUL. I have a Wilson match trigger but everyone that looks at it says it can't be made to fit.

John Kepler
01-31-2011, 04:38
Jewell makes one that'll fit.....so does John Holliger (WOP) and IIRC Geissele.

Griff Murphey
01-31-2011, 04:54
Thanks John. Will investigate further.

jem102
01-31-2011, 05:51
Yes Colt did install sear blocks in some models that might need to be cut out depending on which trigger you want to put in. It is obvious if its there as it fills in the back of the trigger well but my Match Target H-bar built in 98 did not have one. IIRC the models with the sear blocks were marked "Sporter".

PhillipM
01-31-2011, 06:06
I have Colt HBAR and have been told a competition trigger cannot be fitted due to the politically-motivated factory mods to the receiver that were in vogue in the early 90's. I don't want anyone to do any grinding that might be... shall we say, "misconstrued." Have I been given wrong info? The trigger on my gun is really AWFUL. I have a Wilson match trigger but everyone that looks at it says it can't be made to fit.

Grinding is not bad, it's the third hole that makes it a machine gun, AS FAR AS I KNOW. Proceed carefully.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p355/ff162162bfd/DSC01705.jpg