PDA

View Full Version : USMC jacket/tunic

Liam
01-13-2011, 05:24
On a typical antique shopping trip with my wife I spied a rack of clothes containing some uniform pieces. Now, I wasn't looking to buy, but when SOMETHING military presents itself I simply must peruse. While the owner was trying to convince me I NEEDED that old pith helmet, I checked the tag on a USMC green tunic. It was legit - having color evidence of where the chevrons once were attached. The tag said $40. Seemed alot for some old piece of one man's military journey? The pockets were not sewn shut so I dug around. In the upper left breast pocket I found yet another tag, with thread still attached, presumably from the last place it sold. This tag said "Salvation Army Thrift Store - $8.00" Inflation, I guess.

Dan Shapiro
01-14-2011, 12:06
Seems some people see a piece of militaria and automatically slap a high price on it. Surprised the guy didn't tell you it was worn by George Patton himself.

JBinIll
01-15-2011, 10:05
Thrift stores are good places to check out for militaria especially uniforms.A friend recently picked up a VN War period fragmentation vest at the local Goodwill for $10.

John Sukey
01-19-2011, 01:15
Today's junk is tomorrow's antique;)

Thomasm
02-06-2011, 12:34
Seems some people see a piece of militaria and automatically slap a high price on it. Surprised the guy didn't tell you it was worn by George Patton himself.

Somehow I can't see Geo. Patton in a Marine blouse. I can tell you though, in 1962 they could be obtained for no more than a signature on a piece of paper, and they'd give you a pair of them at that, with trousers that matched !