PDA

View Full Version : Mauser-Werke

Bill D
10-09-2009, 02:57
I have had this rifle for half a century. My grandfather gave it to me when I was in high school. When I received it, it was in a butchered up military stock and had a cobbled together buckhorn rear sight. Caliber was 8MM.

Sometime later when I had some money, I had it rebarreled in .30-06 and restocked in a nice sporter stock. I also installed a Weaver 4X scope in Beuhler mounts and rings and added a Beuhler safety. Later, I had the chamber cut back and reamed to .308 caliber.

My question is: what did it start life as? The number 1934 (date) is stamped or engraved on the receiver ring. All other receiver markings are as shown in the photo.

Thanks

Bill D. :icon_scratch:

Sarge
10-10-2009, 10:13
It was born as a 1934 Mauser Banner Standard Modell.
Sarge

Bill D
10-11-2009, 06:38
Can you tell me more about this model? It was manufactured between the wars when Germany would have been severly restricted on the manufacture of war materials. It was very nicely finished with a very nice blue job.
TIA

Bill

Jim K.
10-11-2009, 03:54
Those rifles were what is known as "commercial military", military style rifles for sale to any country which wanted and could afford them. By 1933/1934, of course, Germany had pretty much chosen to ignore the arms restrictions imposed after WWI, plus those rifles were intended for export, which would have excluded them from restrictions anyway.

They were never formally adopted by the German army, although some made their way into Wehrmacht hands in one way or another, and they were reportedly carried by Luftwaffe personnel in the Spanish Civil War. Many of the Standard Modell features were carried over into the later Kar. 98k service rifle.

Like its counterparts made in Czechoslovakia, the Vz-24, and Belgium. the FN Modele 24, the Standard Modell was beautifully made of the best materials.

You have a nice hunting rifle; some would say it is better than any made today, and I am not sure I would dispute that.

Jim

Bill D
10-11-2009, 05:51
Thank you very much for the info. It is much appreciated.

Bill