PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Randy A
01-05-2011, 08:20
This is the only photo I got, 4 digit serial number on barrel and action match. Front ring has Amberg 1917 and just ahead of that on the top of the barrel is K66S. GEW 989 on left side of the receiver. The barrel seems a little short but appears to have a GI sight on it,,,, I don't think the barrel has been messed with. In a few days I can get more photos. Of course it's a mauser, but it looks like a carbine and I can't find anything that talks about a carbine gew 98. Also the lower sling swivel is just behing the grip of the stock, not down toward the butt.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/rananderson/Brycemauser.jpg

Jim K.
01-06-2011, 05:51
It says Gew. (Gewehr - "rifle") on the receiver, so it started out as a Gew. 98 long rifle. It may have been cut down at some point, the picture doesn't show that. The bolt has been bent down (it was originally straight) and the stock cut out for it. Without seeing the rest of it, I would guess the barrel and stock have been cut down to make a sporter rifle. If so, the collector value is nil. The gun is worth maybe $150 on the used gun rack.

Jim

Randy A
01-06-2011, 11:41
I didn't catch that, I meant to type Gew 98, the stock has been crudely cut off at the fore end and the rear sight has been removed. however, no other modifications have been made, (that I can tell) no holes for scope or other type of sight, like they started and didn't finish. I don't know what they planned on using for a rear sight. I'll get pictures or have him measure barrel, but the front sigh looks like an old Mauser sight. Were the front sight bands/bases flush or near flush with the tip of the barrel?

dave
01-07-2011, 02:00
Photo does not show anything! Reciever has been blued so some one has been at it!

Johnny P
01-07-2011, 06:53
Possibly a G98 that was reworked into a K98k for WWII. Need more pictures.

Art
01-10-2011, 04:10
Possibly a G98 that was reworked into a K98k for WWII. Need more pictures.

.......which was actually not an uncommon modification. The Nazis were short of rifles by mid war.

dave
01-14-2011, 08:41
Those conversions were done in the 30's, not mid war. Mostly done for the SS.