PDA

View Full Version : Brookfield Scope Mount and M1A Malfunctions

flyingbair
01-01-2011, 04:53
I have a Brookfield Scope Mount on my Springfield M1A’s and have been experiencing malfunctions. During case extraction the cartridge has been getting jammed between the Scope Mount and the rifle’s bolt. I have been getting jams approximately every 20 rounds fired. When the jam occurs, the cartridge is wedged between the scope and the bolt and requires using pliers to pull the cartridge free. The following is my rifle’s specification.

• Rifle – Springfield M1A
• Barrel – Standard weight GI Barrel, TRW -1962
• Bolt – TRW
• Ammunition Used – Military M118 Special Ball and M118LR ( No Reloads)
• Bolt and Receiver are well lubricated
• Normal extraction pattern at the 1:00 position without the scope mount installed

I have shot the M14 for many years in competition but just started using this rifle for tactical matches. I have never experienced any malfunctions with this rifle prior to installing the Brookfield scope mount.

If you have any suggestions to solve the jamming problem I would be extremely appreciative.

Thank you,

John

Badgerord
01-01-2011, 07:09
John,

I have seen this problem, you may have a weak ejector spring. You may also have an M1 Garand ejector, make sure you have an M14 ejector.

Marty

flyingbair
01-01-2011, 07:38
Thank you Marty. Can you visually see the difference between an M1 vs M14 ejector. Also do you know if there is a difference between a M1 and M14 ejector spring? And last question, where is a good place to purchase and new GI M14 ejector and spring?

Thank you much,

John

tom gray
01-02-2011, 06:09
Try orion 7 for the parts.
Tom

bd1
01-02-2011, 07:27
Never mind, exc I really doubt the ejector's the prob. Maybe swap in a new spring, but it's not likely to make any difference. Sorry.

RED
01-02-2011, 09:43
Brookfield went out of business several years ago but Sadlak Industries is making a "Brookfield" style mount. Sadlak has made some significant improvements in the mount that will probably fix your problem. If it is a Sadlak mount, talk to them and they will solve your problem. They are really good folks to do business with.

I honestly believe the Sadlak titanium mount is the finest one ever made although it is pricey.

Badgerord
01-02-2011, 07:55
The M14 ejector spring is longer, The M14 ejector is also about .020" longer, The facets on the front are also different. I do not have a pic I can find right now.

The Army used the Brookfield mount on the XM-25/M25 rifles and did not have any issues, I have 2 brookfields on rifles and have no issues.
I believe that a new spring and the right ejector will solve your problem.

Bill Ricca will have the parts you need.

Marty
Badger Ordnance

flyingbair
01-02-2011, 08:34
Marty,

It is good to hear the Brookfield mount does work. I am very please with mine holding zero and it seems to stiffen the receiver, I will try a new spring and ejector and see if it works.

Received an email today from Bill Ricca and he does not have an M14 ejector or spring. I have checked several different web sights but have been unsuccessful finding the parts.

Thanks again for your help.

John

bd1
01-03-2011, 06:51
You might try Claude at RA Parts. Good luck.

Badgerord
01-03-2011, 05:41
Fulton armory will have it but it will be high.

Marty
Badger Ordnance

Cecil
01-16-2011, 05:43
Brookfield is an outstanding mount. I seem to remember that Sadlak had to make the modifications to circumvent the Brookfield patent.

flyingbair
01-17-2011, 11:54
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am currently deployed to the Middle East and will try switching parts on my M1A when I return.

John

MJ1
01-24-2011, 06:04
I can't remember what it is and with out your photos all I can say is I have never had any trouble with my '81 NM and this steel mount. Wish I had something like this in '67.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/fc353472.jpg

...MJ....
..RVN..
.67/68.

t44e6
01-30-2011, 08:34
Fulton armory will have it but it will be high.

Marty
Badger Ordnance

They don't list them on their website. Neither does US Armory or Orion7. bd1's source, RA PArts seems to be the only one I can find that has them listed. I had not heard of them before, I like finding new sources of parts. Which is why I like these forums!

Badgerord
01-30-2011, 07:38
Fulton has them for sale, give them a call, when it comes to the hundreds of small parts that places like that sell they seldom have them all on the web, it would be a full time job.

Marty
Badger Ordnance

PA28R200
01-23-2012, 10:51
Following for ejection failure; weak eject spring, m1 ejector added (single face cut). Weak op rod spring and oversize gas hole. Correct m1a's and real 14's have no eject problens. These are the problems we ran into most of the time.

flyingbair
01-28-2012, 07:14
All,

I did replace my ejector spring with one which was slightly longer. My rifle now ejects the cartridge at the 3 o'clock position and have not had a single jam with the Brookfield mount. Thanks for the suggestions.

John