PDA

View Full Version : ~ Government Gave Me Seven (7) Military Pre-Induction Exams. Does that Count?

MUGWUMP
12-28-2010, 03:23
~ U.S. Government Gave Me Seven (7) Military Pre-Induction Physical Examinations in 1960s.

Does that Count for anything? Even went to the Marine Corps recruiters and asked them to call me up under the draft of 1968. Figured that getting pulled in by the elite military formation would give momentum and be easier than trying to enlist (and be rejected) by some low grade outfit like the Air Farce. The Marines were total magnanimous after I flunked the physical. Two big sergeants in dress blue uniforms shook my hand thanked me for stepping forward and requesting to be drafted into the Corps. :icon_salut:

Disgruntled for not being able to get into the military, I thought later that they should have at least giving me the Purple Subway Fare Token Medal for all that dangerous transit riding to and from the Induction Center. So that's my non-service career. :eusa_wall:

P.S. Forgot to mention the reason that I kept not making it through the pre-Induction physical exams. In 1965, I went to work at the Fore River Shipyard in Quincy. For two months, we attended Welding School there. Not being able to afford the protective leather, I just took the hits of the molten flux from the arc welder. Had pin point burns up and down both inner arms. The morons at the South Boston Army base Induction Center insisted that the scabs on my arms were needle tracks and that I was an apparent mainline drug user. Once that question or edict was on the record, despite repeated exams, I was rejected and classified by the draft board as a "1Y". That classification subjected me to military service in a National Emergency such as the Red Chinese invading Beacon Hill in Boston.

El Paso Mark
12-30-2010, 09:30
An answer without a question ????? :confused:

Cheers,

Mark

Michaelp
01-04-2011, 01:43
Organizations did not call people in for the draft.
That was done by the selective service system.
Once you were inducted and sworn in, you were assigned.
Most all went to the Army, the Marines got a few.
I don't know about Navy or Air Force, other than I wouldn't rate them.

Dan Shapiro
01-04-2011, 11:42
On April 11, 1967, I saw 1st hand how the Marine Corps handled the 'draft'. While waiting in line at the induction center in Los Angeles, a Marine G/Sgt walked out into the hallway, pointed to 10 people in the waiting line and told them "Follow me, you just volunteered for the Marine Corps!"

Michaelp
01-05-2011, 10:41
I enlisted in 1966 in Little Rock, Ark.
About 50 f us were waiting around after swearing in.

4 or 5 guys were the only draftees on the room.
They were making fun of the rest of us.
They thought since they had only two years ahead instead of our three, that they would only be clerks or cooks and have an easy time.
At one point, several Marine NCOs appeared and hustled those guys away-one was crying real tears and had to be manhandled.
Kinda funny at the time.