PDA

View Full Version : CMP Bayo

JimW in Ore
12-20-2010, 04:44
I just got my bayonet from CMP. It appears new but it is marked EN S
E_ US

w/ ord bomb between letters. Differant ord symbol two circles (one inside the other) with flames usual. The scabbard also marked similarly. Any info would be appeciated.

Jim

WRA-M1
12-20-2010, 05:30
Speculation is that these were US made for our allies post war. E-US is thought to mean "European-U.S." Could be completely wrong. I actually like mine, only difference from my WWII is the Hand Guard appears cast vs machined. Other than that, its a keeper for me.

Doug Douglass
12-31-2010, 10:07
I just got two, one has a split scabbard and the bayonet is jammed in it, the second is a worn Greek in an after market scabbard. I am sending both back, JUNK.

Rick the Librarian
01-07-2011, 02:32
I got two in pretty decent shape from CMP. One is a uncut PAL in a totally (as far as I can see it) unmarked M7 scabbard. The other is a cut-down Oneida in a cutdown M3 scabbard with the usual "U.S.-marked flaming grenade.

I'm guessing the unmarked scabbard is of Greek manufacture?

Have two more coming, a AFH and a cut-down RIA.

Bayonetman
01-08-2011, 01:35
Very little is known about the EN-S marked M1 bayonets. I have prepared a few comments on them based on a lot of guesswork and very little verified information. However, if anyone is interested, PM me your email address and I will send you a .pdf with what little I know. Warning - if you have a dial up internet connection it will take quite a bit of time, but if you have high speed it only takes a few seconds.

Art
01-22-2011, 09:09
I posted on this bayonette on another thread but figured I would put this here too.

I got one of the EN-S or EN-5 (it looks like the Savage square S on No 4 rifles to me) US marked M1 Bayonettes. The bayonette is in excellent condition, dark charcoal gray park with a serial number stamped into the guard. The scabbard is US marked with the ord bomb. On the back on the plastic is a very small "vp" the "P" has a long extension that seems to end in a "b" below that is a small number 4. Victory Plastics?

Because they are US marked they must have been made on a US contract and been at least technically US property or the Army wouldn't have accepted them back for CMP sale.

I can't imagine the letters were applied by the Greeks as has been suggested. It seems to me if the Greeks had done it they would have used the Greek alphabet but almost anything is possible.

Just some random thoughts.

5MadFarmers
01-23-2011, 09:33
Because they are US marked they must have been made on a US contract and been at least technically US property or the Army wouldn't have accepted them back for CMP sale.

I don't think that is a given. The Army accepts rifles back but there is nothing preventing the CMP from getting items cash; witness the cartridge belts and ammunition they've received from Greece. There is no evidence that they were made on a U.S. contract.

US marking means nothing.

Art
01-23-2011, 10:46
I don't think that is a given. The Army accepts rifles back but there is nothing preventing the CMP from getting items cash; witness the cartridge belts and ammunition they've received from Greece. There is no evidence that they were made on a U.S. contract.

US marking means nothing.

The Items you mention also aren't, to my knowledge, US marked with an ord bomb.

Actually the CMP has refused to accept non MAP returns of rifles in the past. The US marking does mean "something" it's just no one here knows exactly what it means. I personally think it very unlikely that the Greeks, Danes, Italians or anyone else would make US marked items for themselves. I've never seen a US marked part made by a foreign country for use with US equipment though, I sure haven't seen everything and I concede the possibility. The fact is that my thoughts on this were an hypothesis only based on the appearance of the item(s). Hypothesis = educated guess, one step above S.W.A.G. = Scientific Wild Ass Guess, which is one step above hunch.