PDA

View Full Version : model 98 used by Military in ceremony honor of attempt to kill hitler

pelago
12-14-2010, 11:40
German military in full dress and armed with spotless model 98's at a ceremony and wreath laying of Von Staufenberg and fellow collaborators on their attempt to kill hitler

was surprised at the use of the 98's,and what i could see they were superb. slings to the side and all

but wth we still use M1's, 03's

Michaelp
12-15-2010, 11:50
I think their honor guards normally use K98s for most ceremonial stuff.

The 98 is a traditional deal.

pelago
12-15-2010, 11:59
I think their honor guards normally use K98s for most ceremonial stuff.

The 98 is a traditional deal.

correct and there is nothing like wood, and steel for dress ceremony that is one of the reasons the Marine Corps Silent Drill team is so good

jon_norstog
01-17-2011, 08:18
Pelago,

I'd like to think the anniversary of the atempt on Hitler's life shd be a national holiday. I'm glad the Germans are celebrating it. Too bad the attempt failed, I wonder if the 3rd Reich would have collapsed, or would the war have gone on?

The fact that we are still talking about Hitler is proof positive that time travel is impossible. Ask yourself, "once I've got my time machine sorted out, what's the first thing I'm going to do?"

Or, as the guards at Landsberg Prison used to say about time-travelling asassins ... "another one? That's the third time this week!"

jn

pelago
01-17-2011, 08:45
one has to wonder if the model 98's used have the Nazi marks on them??, would think not, but what do i know

Michaelp
01-20-2011, 11:26
I read something on these years ago.
I SEEM to recall that the pieces are reworks, possibly non functional.
Just for show. Don't recall about markings, but the crooked cross, being illegal, is most likely scrubbed.

jgaynor
01-20-2011, 02:03
in the late 50's the guards on the German Chancellors residence in Bonn were still wearing the coal scuttle helmets (the older version IIRC). i believe it was the only unit in Germany permitted to do so.

Regards,

Jim