PDA

View Full Version : new to me k98

skywagon
12-09-2010, 02:07
I bought my first K98. It has all kinds of stamps on it. First an S/42 1937on the top of the reciever. To the left of those stamps are the #1092 and below that next to the wood line are what I think are 4 numbers with a line through them. On the barrel by the rear sight it is stamped HEGE 1092 to the left of that 8*57 IS and to the left of that 465 and then by the wood line the four numbers with a line through them. any help or info on these marks would be great.
Thanks
Gerry

Sarge
12-10-2010, 01:26
You have a rifle built by Mauser Oberndorff in 1937. 1092 is the ser nr, is there a letter after it? I would expect that your rifle is an RC, is there an X stamped on the rec or bbl? Any pencil etched ser nrs or the ser nr stamped on the left side of the stock?
The Hege 8x57 IS is a West German import mark and 4 65 is the month & year imported. I wonder how it got to the US?
I also have a K98k with W. German import marks, mine is dated 02. These are unusual to find in the US.
Sarge

skywagon
12-10-2010, 09:09
There is no X that I can see. And the stock has a ser.# on it down by the butt plate, it does not match the gun though. The bolt has a electro pencil # in 2 locations on it, they do not match the gun. I bought this from an estate sale. The story is he was in the army shortly after the war. Over 100 Lugers and P-38s. Lots of daggers that are not for sale yet.
Thanks for the help.

mike webb
12-12-2010, 08:02
Usually electro pencil means Russian capture. They restamped the serial number on the side of the butt, if it is original German marking the serial number on the stock will be above the toe and match the action.