PDA

View Full Version : M3 Knife / M6 Scabbard Questions

unc81
12-07-2010, 01:16
I bought an M3 over the weekend. I feel sure it is original, but I don't know a lot about these and I am hoping that some of you can fill in my void of information. Questions are:

1. The knife is a guard-marked Utica

2. Crossguard is not as bent as the photos I see on-line, but does not look altered. Were some of these more (or less) bent than others? Did some of the GI's straighten them?

3. The pommel does not have any cross pins in it that I can see. Did all of these knives have these?

4. Pommel at top has a "starburst" peening of the knife hilt. Is this correct for Utica? The flaming bomb is also on the pommel.

5. The leather washers on the handle seem to have shrunk somewhat so that there is 1/8" or so gap when I really press them tightly together. Is this common?

For the scabbard, I have read in two different sources that the "4" in 1943 should be either fully closed, or slightly open at the top. Which is correct?

The scabbard has the metal 1910 attaching hook at the top removed. I have read that this is a common field mod. Does this detract significantly from the value?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Bill D
12-07-2010, 06:36
Utica made both blade marked and guard marked M3's. Blade marked are the earliest. They made six and eight grooved handles and both pinned and staked pommels. All guard marked Uticas have the sunburst pattern covering the tang and out onto the pommel. Flaming bomb is correct. Handles do shrink. Ideally, they should be tight.

Is your M6 scabbard a MILSCO? The M6's are relatively rare and command some rather stiff prices if genuine. If I remember correctly, the "4" should be closed at the top but I could be wrong. There are some pretty decent repro scabbards floating around out there so one has to be careful. Having the web belt hook missing probably does not affect value in any way.

A good reference is the book "The U.S. M-3 Trench Knife of World War Two" by Vincent J. Coniglio and Robert S. Laden.

By the way, the government paid $1.50 per knife and 65 cents each for scabbards. Bet you paid a tad bit more.

unc81
12-07-2010, 06:55
Thanks, Bill.

Very helpful.

Johnny P
12-08-2010, 08:29
I would suspect that someone tried to "correct" the bend in the guard, as this is fairly common. Normally they don't want to bend in the same place as the original bend.
The L&C M6 sheaths are interesting in that they have the initials of Col. Frank J. Atwood who was the officer charge of inspection and acceptance of all military goods manufactured in the Rochester Ordnance District.

http://i51.tinypic.com/zvc3ky.jpg

Tom Doniphon
12-08-2010, 11:38
Yes, the 4 should be closed. But some of the reproduction scabbards are like that too.

dave
12-08-2010, 12:00
Get some antique leather dressing on those grip leathers, use several applications, yours is very dry, cracking will be next. Scabbard could probably use some too!