PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying The Rifle Cleaning Rod Kit

cwbuff
11-27-2010, 09:39
I picked up this WWI rifle cleaning rod kit. It is marked "USMC" on the back of the web case. The inside the flap of the web case is marked "R. H. LONG 11-18". Some told me it may be an M1916 cleaning rod kit. But I can't find any information on what the military called it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

JBinIll
11-27-2010, 10:04
The military designation for that rod and case is "Cleaning Rod Model of 1916".Issued one per eight rifles for field service use only.

cwbuff
11-27-2010, 10:44
Thanks for the info! That is what I was looking for.

Doug Douglass
12-13-2010, 12:08
I have them marked Made by Marbles, stamped RH LONG on the flap like Longs bought them off the shelf and re marked the flap. They also had shotgun rods in the same sleeves..

cwbuff
12-13-2010, 12:45
Any ideas what a USMC marked set sells for these days?

JBinIll
12-13-2010, 01:20
I have them marked Made by Marbles, stamped RH LONG on the flap like Longs bought them off the shelf and re marked the flap. They also had shotgun rods in the same sleeves..

I am not sure of the origin of those,Marbles never made a cleaning rod case of that pattern although I have often seen Marbles cleaning rods in those cases.The cases were widely available as surplus for many years.Some Marbles collectors seem to think that Marbles purchased those cases as surplus and used them for their rods.

dave
12-13-2010, 02:01
I am not sure of the origin of those,Marbles never made a cleaning rod case of that pattern although I have often seen Marbles cleaning rods in those cases.The cases were widely available as surplus for many years.Some Marbles collectors seem to think that Marbles purchased those cases as surplus and used them for their rods.

I agree Marbles purchased these as surplus at some time, not the other way around. If they were originally Marbles there would be no need for the flared/enlarged top section for the "football" handle of the 1916 rod! I have both with the rods, one for my '03's and one for my .22 collection. The Marbles rod has a standard type slim-straight handle. As for the USMC marking---there is so much phony MC marked stuff around I have to doubt that, I've seen allot of these cases, none so marked!

JBinIll
12-13-2010, 02:20
As for the USMC marking---there is so much phony MC marked stuff around I have to doubt that, I've seen allot of these cases, none so marked!

Ditto on that. As for a value,I've bought them for as little as $3 at flea markets and seen them bring well over $50 on e-bay.

John Sukey
12-14-2010, 09:20
Of course there is also a version with a one piece rod.

Doug Douglass
12-14-2010, 12:55
I have in my hands the canvas case in question and on the front silk screened it says "MARBLE'S Gladstone, Michigan, U.S.A. 9728 and on the flap it is stamped R.H.LONG 8-18 inside is a three piece brass cleaning rod with a round wood handle. So which came first the chicken or the egg? I bought a bunch of these in San Jose years ago for $5.:icon_salut:

Also the Marines have never changed their U.S.M.C font and that ain't it.

JBinIll
12-14-2010, 01:26
I have in my hands the canvas case in question and on the front silk screened it says "MARBLE'S Gladstone, Michigan, U.S.A. 9728 and on the flap it is stamped R.H.LONG 8-18 inside is a three piece brass cleaning rod with a round wood handle. So which came first the chicken or the egg? I bought a bunch of these in San Jose years ago for $5.:icon_salut:

Also the Marines have never changed their U.S.M.C font and that ain't it.

The rod is a commercial Marble's rod.It was never an issue cleaning rod.The cases were purchased as surplus by Marbles and used for their rods.Original Marbles rod cases of their manufacture are of a light weight cotton material with a leather flap.It is believed these date to the late 1920's and 1930's and was done as a cost cutting measure during the depression.It was cheaper to buy the surplus rod cases as manufacture their own.

5MadFarmers
12-14-2010, 08:42
http://5madfarmers.com/visit/1916-1.jpg

I do not believe the ones with shotgun rods in them are military rods. I say this as I have the contracts and I don't see a contract with Marbles for them. Marbles bought the cases post war and marked via stamps and stickers. One of the inked ones is in that group but it's an old picture. I'd have to dig for one with the label - it was orange.

The barracks rod edition isn't sectional.

usmc69
01-02-2011, 02:38
While I have never seen that cleaning kit before I have seen that U.S.M.C. font before. It is usually not that large. Mainly on older stuff and that was processed through Philly.