PDA

View Full Version : can someone help a rookie?

history hunter
11-26-2010, 04:22
My grandfather brought back a model 98 from WWII. It has been around my family forever, killed countless deer and a PA bear. Now that I am older I would like to know more of the specifics of this gun. Is there a place you know of where I could reserch the markings and numbers? I would like to know the date made things of that nature. I am honest in saying i know NOTHING about it, there are several spots that have the eagle on the nazi cross, the breach has byf and 44 below. The gun is in great shape but every piece is stamped with the nazi logo and number. I know the family story of how he got it and how it was brought back but that doesnt help. anything you may share would really help in me finding more. the value means nothing to me as its a family thing but I have loved it for years and it has been a great second rifle and brush gun.

kcw
11-26-2010, 05:23
I believe that "byf" is the code for Mauser AG, Oberndorf. 1944 production. There were a number of companies making the 98k rifle.
The specific maker was identified by its assigned code.

BigMo
11-26-2010, 08:23
If you are looking for a in-depth book then "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" Collector Grade books by Mr. Law is for you.
A lighter read with a lot of cool pictures is the "The K98k Rifle" by Special Interest Publicaties BV-- (That is how they spell it on the spine)

history hunter
11-28-2010, 09:40
Thanks for your help I found a site (I can not find it again though) that shows the different markings and how to id the factory and date. I seem to be lucky in that mine was not sold as surplus all the numbers match and the Nazi logos were not "x" outs as it seems means it was taken apart and later rebuilt with parts. Now I just need to find out why my stock ends and so much of the barrel is showing, it doesn’t seem to be cut down, the lamination doesn’t stop; the wood doesn’t seem brighter.. I see no evidence of a cleaning rod, but I am very certain it was war issued. I am well on my way and my interest is more than peaked, despite having several other rifles I am using my 8mm the first day of buck here in PA, again thank you

dave
11-28-2010, 11:10
So much of the barrel showing? Like how much? Sounds like it has been cut down for hunting, if done with any skill at all it could look original. Can you post picture? It was made by Mauser Oberndorf, in 1944. IF all original and matched (it would have to be taken apart to check all serial numbers, including the wood) it could be worth 600-800 or more, depending on condition. If cut down 200-300 would be about it.