PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine ammo pouch question.

Hecklerusp45
11-22-2010, 07:51
Last week I picked up two M1 Carbine ammo pouches (belt type, not stock type) in a local pawn shop. One of them is dated 1957 and the other 1944. I got them with the intention of using them and not “collecting” them and honestly thought that they were not worth very much. I paid $10 each for them and assumed the 1944 was a repo. The shop owner said that he did not know an original from a repo which is why he did not ask more. After giving it some thought I decided it would be nice to be able to tell a repo from the real thing. The one I am most interested in learning about is the one marked Avery 1944. I would really like to know if there is an easy way to tell an original from a repo since I don’t want to put wear and tear on an original. I don’t have any pictures of the one I purchased, but did find a couple of pictures on the web that look just like it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Johnny P
11-22-2010, 08:36
They were all belt type. A GI figured out that the model designed to snap onto the pistol belt would also go on the M1 Carbine stock, and history was made.

Hecklerusp45
11-22-2010, 08:45
Thanks for the reply. I do understand that they all went on a belt, but how do you tell an origional from a repo?

JBinIll
11-22-2010, 12:31
Here's a discussion on an Avery pouch http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30917&hl=stock+pouches If this the type of pouch you have one indicator usually found on repro pouches is the snap on the back for the pistol belt is usually centered instead of offset like originals.The flap fasterners are usually unmarked and of a lot thinner construction than originals and unmarked.The 57 dated pouches usually sell in the $5 to $10 range.