PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1D

Blade Runner
11-18-2010, 09:50
I wasn't even looking for an M1 when I walked into the consignment section of a major sporting goods store. On the wall with all the other used rifles, this M1D grabbed my attention. I took it down, found a salesman, and together we field stripped it and looked it over. Too good to pass up. I immediately put it on layaway. The salesman that worked with me told me what he knew of the rifle's history. He said some old boy bought it about the time it was released to the civilian market. Some twenty years later he passed away and his widow, after an unspecified period of time, finally brought it in to the store to get rid of it. She told the salesman that her old man kept it in a gun safe and never shot it. After I bought it, I did some research. Using the Poyer & Riesch book and other sources, I completely disassembled the rifle and noted all the serial nos, stampings, and cartouches.

The receiver was manufactured in June, 1945 and apparently was never issued to combat troops. In 1953, the reciever was sent to Raritan Arsenal where it was built as an M1D with all genuine Springfield parts except the rear sight, which is IHC. It registered just under 3 on the TEG. I have inspected this rifle thoroughly and I find no evidence that any work, other than shooting and cleaning, was done to it since it came from the arsenal. In any case, it is a beaut.

Since it was set up as a sniper rifle, the armorers didn't pay much attention to the iron sights so I had to tweak the front sight for zero windage. I've had a grand time shooting this baby.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/BladerunnerXP/Guns/IMG_0790-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/BladerunnerXP/Guns/IMG_0798-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/BladerunnerXP/Guns/IMG_0793.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/BladerunnerXP/Guns/IMG_0796.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/BladerunnerXP/Guns/IMG_0791-1.jpg

rayg
11-18-2010, 11:51
Email cmp to see if it passed through their hands. If it did, they will provide you with the M1D sales documentation of the rifle. Ray

Johnny in Texas
11-18-2010, 08:56
Interesting that the sights were off I have 3 CMP M1D's and all have a stake mark on the front sight and gas cyl. It looks like a chisel mark across the front of the sight and the front of the gas cyl. M1D's are the only M1's I have ever seen that done on.

Blade Runner
11-18-2010, 10:17
Interesting that the sights were off I have 3 CMP M1D's and all have a stake mark on the front sight and gas cyl. It looks like a chisel mark across the front of the sight and the front of the gas cyl. M1D's are the only M1's I have ever seen that done on.Yes, I discovered that when I realized I needed to set the front sight and took a closer look at it. After I aligned the stake marks, the rifle windage is on the money. I have no clue why the sight was off.

Johnny in Texas
11-20-2010, 08:35
What is the barrel date and what is marked on the cheek piece? How do you know it was built at Raritan in '53 and how did you know the receiver was never issued or built into a standard M1. I have not read either of the books you refer to. Do they list your rifle in them? All the M1D's built at Springfield were done in '51 '52. The IHC sight is very unusual for an M1D built in "53. IHC was using all they had in their own production. Did it come with a flash hider? How does it group? It's a great looking rifle. Was the scope calibrated. I remember my first M1D needed to have the scope calibrated.

Blade Runner
11-21-2010, 11:00
What is the barrel date and what is marked on the cheek piece?Barrel date is "1 53" indicating Jan., 1953; receiver serial number indicates manufacture in June 1945. Cheek piece marked "MRT", and was repaired . Grommets in cheekpiece were corroded. I replaced the cheekpiece with a new one.

How do you know it was built at Raritan in '53 The cartouche on the left side of the stock indicates the rifle underwent the Springfield Armory Type 1 "clean and repair" program. This cartouche is a box, open at the bottom, containing the Letters "SA", and just underneath are the letters "RA" indicating the work was done at Raritan Arsenal. I imagine this was when the rifle was converted to an M1D.

how did you know the receiver was never issued or built into a standard M1.I did not say that the receiver was never issued. No doubt it was part of a standard M1 when it was sent to the arsenal for conversion. And, only because of a surprising lack of wear in the receiver and no evidence of refinishing or welding did I assume that as a standard issue M1 it saw little service. M1Ds were never a primary sniper rifle, they were adopted in 1944 as a "substitute" to the M1C. From all the info I have been able to obtain about this particular rifle, it did not see active service.

I have not read either of the books you refer to. Do they list your rifle in them?Yes.

All the M1D's built at Springfield were done in '51 '52.Correction. Most M1Ds were built from standard service rifles between 1951 and 1953. And, not all of them were built at the Springfield Armory.

The IHC sight is very unusual for an M1D built in "53. IHC was using all they had in their own production.It is entirely possible that the IHC sight is a replacement, either done at RA or sometime after. I'm sure there were a few IHC rear sight assys lying around the arsenals.

Did it come with a flash hider?No.

How does it group?Not too bad now that I have adjusted the front sight. The bore, btw, is in beautiful condition. TEG measured just under "3".

It's a great looking rifle. Was the scope calibrated. I remember my first M1D needed to have the scope calibrated.Thanks, I can't say if the scope was calibrated or not. I'm working on that. In any case, overall the rifle and all its parts are in excellent condition and it is a sweetheart to shoot.

jgaynor
11-23-2010, 06:44
FWIW I believe SA did a large run of M1D Barrels in 1952 and 53 as most seem to be so marked. The rifles could have been assembled any time thereafter. The fact that we know they were done at different depots/arsenals; and that some M1D's remained in stock as kits of parts until sold as surplus suggests assembly took place on an as needed basis over a relatively long period of time.

Regards,
Jim

Blade Runner
12-03-2010, 01:12
Email cmp to see if it passed through their hands. If it did, they will provide you with the M1D sales documentation of the rifle. Ray

Done. Thanks, Ray. I sent just the serial number of the receiver and offered to provide any addiitional data if necessary. I'll let y'all know what they say.

rayg
12-05-2010, 03:24
Done. Thanks, Ray. I sent just the serial number of the receiver and offered to provide any addiitional data if necessary. I'll let y'all know what they say.

Let us know. Either way it's a great looking rifle, Ray

Blade Runner
12-07-2010, 01:25
Let us know. Either way it's a great looking rifle, RayThanks, Ray. I just got a reply from CMP. They want $25 to research the records, non-refundable whether or not they actually have a record of this rifle. As things now stand economically, I'm going to have to hold off pursuing this. It would be interesting to know, but, like I said, I bought this rifle to shoot, not to hang on the wall.

Doug Douglass
12-08-2010, 03:53
CMP has complete sales records from Oct 96 to date. Prior to that they are "spotty". I had them check for my D with no luck