PDA

View Full Version : CMP M1 bayonet

Kirk
11-13-2010, 06:31
The CMP started selling a M1 bayonet and M7 scabbard from an unidentified maker. The marking appears to be EN 5 (rather than ENS noted by the CMP). The S in US is curved while the EN 5 has squared corners.

The CMP listing is http://www.thecmp.org/accessories.htm see the "Garand Bayonet - Model M1with Scabbard - Used/serviceable"

There are two different “US” markings on the scabbards ; one of the scabbards shows a makers mark molded into the plastic, a double H with a WV above it, as shown in the pictures.

Any info about these bayonets would be appreciated.

Bill D
11-13-2010, 07:38
Gary Cunningham, in his book on American Military Bayonets of the 20th Century, shows a scabbard on page 65 which has the makers mark of yours (the two connected "H"'s) but says it should be found on the back. The scabbard may have been made by the Nationalist Chinese in the 1960's and if I had to guess, I would say the bayonet was also. I can find nothing in Gary's book on the markings on the bayonet.

Bill D

gwp
11-14-2010, 02:48
E_US = E(European) _US manufactured

Bill D
11-14-2010, 04:38
E_US = E(European) _US manufactured

What's your reference on this? Just curious.

gwp
11-15-2010, 09:24
What's your reference on this? Just curious.

This was a “best guess” made after checking this site:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=62525

"Post War Greek or Italian Re stamp.......E(European) -US manufactured.”

Bill D
11-15-2010, 10:14
I went back and looked at the photos that Kirk posted. I see no evidence of "restamping" on either the bayonet or scabbard. The scabbard would be especially difficult to restamp as the original would have to be ground off and a new stamp applied to a rather thin piece of sheet metal. Sorry, I don't buy your theory (or that of the poster on a reenacting site in England). I still think that the plastic manufacturer's mark on the scabbard in the photo's being that of a Nationalist Chinese (Formosan) manufacturer would tend to make one wonder if that might not be the origin of these.

What's really odd is that the CMP doesn't know where they acquired them from - or maybe they are stopping just short of false advertising?

Mark in Ark
11-19-2010, 05:10
Wonder if they were made in Evzone or Evzoni, Greece. Evzoni elite light infantry and mountain units still use the M1 rifle and bayonet in parade service to this day and are cerimonial guards at the Greek tomb of the unknown soldiers.

Garandy
11-19-2010, 05:27
From an internet ad..$145.00
This offering is for the pictured M1 Garand bayonet. In good used condition, this is the Greek military version of the standard US M7 bayonet from the WW2 era. Greece a recipiant of US military assistance since 1945, the M1 garand was embraced by the Evzoni elite light infantry and mountain units who still use the M1 rifle and bayonet in parade service to this day and are cerimonial guards at the Greek tomb of the unknown soldiers.These Evzoni bayonets are serial numbered on the cross piece and are stamped with an E-US marking on the riccaso. Our bayonet is in good looking condition, with finish wear and typical signs of use. Makes a fine display for the military collector.

Bill D
11-19-2010, 06:17
Gentlemen -
I just received the following email from Frank Trzaska:

"They are Greek made as far as I know. They were used with the Lend Lease M1 Garands we gave them.

All the best
Frank Trzaska"

I certainly defer to Mr. Trzaska's expertise. Please accept my apology.

Bill D

desert guy
11-20-2010, 02:50
Well. Gents: on Frank T. web-site, if you check Bill Porter's Page 5, he refers to a Guatemalen M1 Bayonet which has these same "EN S (or 5) over E US" markings. However, his scabbard is not the same as the one which comes with ther CMP M1 Bayonet. In the same Porter Page 5, he shows the markings on a Taiwanese M7 scabbard and this CMP scabbard markings are not even close. Ain't saying that Mr. T is wrong, about them being Greek, however, I don't think this mystery has been solved as yet. I'm sort of surprised that Bayonetman or others have not chimed-in on this controversy. Semper Fi.

Bayonetman
11-22-2010, 07:24
Until the CMP brought this large batch in, the bayonet was uncommon to rare in this country. A few were sold on eBay with the sellers mostly located in Southeastern Europe. A couple of us are trying to find more details about these, so far our efforts have been mostly dead end.

The Greeks do not have a history of making their own bayonets, but it is of course possible that they made them themselves. My current OPINION is that these were made on contract for the Greeks, probably in the mid to late 1950s. As to who actually made them, that is what we are trying to discover. Right now, I don't feel they were made in the USA.

There are five other M1 bayonets that were made outside the US but which are identical to the US issue versions except for the markings. They were made in Norway, Denmark (there is some thought that these were made in Germany for the Danes which I tend to agree with), Italy, Japan and Nationalist China (Taiwan).

As some of the scabbards are marked on the body with the Chinese symbols as found on the Taiwanese made M7 scabbards, it is POSSIBLE that the bayonets were also made there. It is also possible, even likely, that this was simply an order for spare scabbards at a later time as they do not appear to be as common as the E-US marked version. This is total guesswork however, and certainly should not be considered definitive. SOME of the bayonets APPEAR to have had previous blade markings removed and the new stamp applied. Although I have not handled enough of these to have an opinion, it is possible that one of the makers listed previously (especially Taiwan) MAY have done this to use up some surplus. However, that has not been verified and is only a GUESS.

Ελληνικός Στρατός Ξηράς, (Ellinikós Stratós Xirás), translates roughly to Greek Land Army. It is certainly possible that the E-US mark found on both the bayonet and scabbard indicates Greece - US Model (or specifications). Again, this is only a guess. The EN-S mark MAY indicate the maker, but that is still to be discovered.

Some few of these have been found with US parts including guards, grips and the catch. This is PROBABLY simply the result of Arsenal reworks in Greece. Some scabbards, mostly actual US production, are also found with metal tip protectors added most likely by the Greeks.

Wish I had more information. If anything is found that narrows the field, I will publish it on Bayonet Points.

Note that I have made a lot of guesses and opinions here (noted in CAPITAL letters). Please realize that these are NOT FACTS and do not take them as such. I am as interested as anyone in what the true facts of this bayonet are, and am certainly willing to adjust my opinions in the face of factual information.

Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman

Cass
11-27-2010, 04:05
Gary:

Thanks for posting your opinion on these. When I first saw them described, I hoped that you would comment on them.

Thanks,
Cass

lobo
04-21-2011, 11:58
Hi, I have just read about the"Greek" M1 bayonet discussion on this forum and am hoping someone can help before I make a costly mistake.

I can buy a spotless example and this has EN5 and EUS stamped on the blade as well as a circle with a flame above it. The scabert has the same circle and flame as well as the lettering

I am of the opinoin that it is a reproduction? I do not collect reproductions only official military issues .I am in South Africa and info is scarse here Please help

Art
04-21-2011, 01:13
Hi, I have just read about the"Greek" M1 bayonet discussion on this forum and am hoping someone can help before I make a costly mistake.

I can buy a spotless example and this has EN5 and EUS stamped on the blade as well as a circle with a flame above it. The scabert has the same circle and flame as well as the lettering

I am of the opinoin that it is a reproduction? I do not collect reproductions only official military issues .I am in South Africa and info is scarse here Please help

It is unlikely in the extreme that they are "reproductions" since they were shipped from another countries military stores. I suspect strongly that because of the US markings they were at least made under U.S. government supervision though perhaps not for U.S. use.

So I don't think the bayonettes in question are any more "reproductions" than a Savage built U.S. Property marked No. 4 Mk 1 Enfield type rifle is a "reproduction."

If someone was going to fake the bayonettes they would have gone all the way and the bayonettes would have had the correct maker and U.S. Ordnance marks.

The mystery as the OP indicates is who contracted for them and who manufactured them? Bayonetman has a reasonable hypothesis but who knows.

Bayonetman
04-22-2011, 04:23
I hope to have some further information in the near future, but right now this is about all I have found. http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_36.htm

lobo
04-22-2011, 05:58
Hi guys. Wow ,thanks for the quick reply.

I was fortunate to discover this forum yesterday in my search for info on the M1 bayonet. Low and behold I found foto's and an explination as well as a forum on my favorite collecting hobby.

As for the M1, I have made contact with the seller who claims to have been a big Militaria dealer in the UK and brought all his bayonet stock to the RSA when he decided to settle here last year. Sounds like the Greek story could be correct. As I have concentrated on British Empire stock to date (South African history slots in here) this will be my first US Military number and hopefully not the last. US bayonets are however not easy to aquire here so lets hope.

I will stay tuned on the forum and with permission keep asking questions as needed and look forward to reading all about collecting in the USA as you guys post By the way I reside in Cape Town RSA