PDA

View Full Version : Declawing M8/M8A1 scabbards

jonnyo55
11-12-2010, 09:35
Hi...does anyone have any neat tricks regarding "declawing" these scabbards? I've got a NEW M5A1 that I'd like to store in an M8A1, but don't want to scratch the blade with the anti-rattle thingy. Any ideas? :icon_scratch:

Johnny in Texas
11-12-2010, 09:59
I would tape the blade

SKIPH
11-13-2010, 06:45
jonnyo55-Instead of damaging the M8's, I just keep the bayonet out of the scabbard. I make a blade protector from an old file folder, cut and size to fit the blade.Like a paper sheath, and tape it together. Then just use a rubber band and attach it to the outside of the scabbard. Kinda like the ones you see on new knives. I pulled out the retainer clips one time. You have to cut the plastic lip in the scabbard opening, rip it out w/ needle nose pliers, and as I recall the clips either fall free or you have to tear them out too. It's been about 30 years. At that time scabbards were about $2, and tons around. I really don't recommend destroying the scabbard. Good Luck! SKIP

jonnyo55
11-13-2010, 11:13
Here's what I ended up doing: Take a sheet of typing paper. Fold once over the back of the blade and trim so that the paper just covers the blade from top to bottom. Trim so that the paper covers all but 1/4" or so of the blade, lengthwise. Slowly guide the paper wrapped blade into the scabbard as a test fit. Good? Good. Withdraw blade/paper combo and put a spot of rubber based cement such as Walthers GOO on each side of the outside of the paper, maybe 3/8" from the top. Don't overdo the glue here, you don't want any overflowing out the top. Holding the paper so the top is about 1/4" below the crossguard, reinsert into scabbard. Let dry overnight, and enjoy with a good Oktoberfest beer. Cheers!

SKIPH
11-13-2010, 11:35
jonnyo55-Sounds good! Will keep that in mind SKIP