PDA

View Full Version : Friend has a sporterized 98...

cbrpete
11-12-2010, 04:37
and the barrell is marked Johnson Automatic. It is chambered in .270. It also has a Jaeger trigger and a very pretty stock with a Monte Carlo cheek piece. Is this a factory sporterizing or a costom piece. Any guess to the value? TIA Pete

bruce
11-12-2010, 05:31
Johnson Automatic is the company that made replacement barrels for the M-1917. The Jaeger trigger is of good quality. The stock is something you'll have to evaluate. From the description it is a rifle made up from a variety of parts. Value.... depends a lot on the condition of the bore, the quality of the work. If it were me I'd be careful. See if you can first try it on the range. Maybe $200 or so. If it is correctly drilled and tapped, that would be a plus. Dealing with this sort of rifle, you can easily find yourself sailing off the edge of the map. JMHO.

buttebob
09-14-2011, 07:29
A little late in reading this, but Johnson Automatic made the 1941 Johnson Automatic that was used by the Marines in WWII. After the war Johnson made rifles on Mauser actions. I have one in 250 Savage. It has a odd angle cut on the forearm that I assumed was made after it left the Johnson factory, but I saw the same cut in a book by Stebbin, not sure of the spelling. I've seen one other for sale. I put the value at $600 plus.

da gimp
09-17-2011, 06:45
A little late in reading this, but Johnson Automatic made the 1941 Johnson Automatic that was used by the Marines in WWII. After the war Johnson made rifles on Mauser actions. I have one in 250 Savage. It has a odd angle cut on the forearm that I assumed was made after it left the Johnson factory, but I saw the same cut in a book by Stebbin, not sure of the spelling. I've seen one other for sale. I put the value at $600 plus.

Learned something today, thank you bb