PDA

View Full Version : Bowie Knife Kit

Critch
10-01-2009, 07:55
I'm looking at some different Bowie knife kits to have something to do this winter. Most come with wooden grip panels, however, I just happen to have a large chunk of elk horn that is about 3 inches across at the base and about 8 inches long...which I am going to make grips out of.

Now, how do I saw it? Any special blade I need for my table saw or do I use a band saw?

Also, the center does not look as dense as the outer walls, is this normal?

Johnny P
10-03-2009, 10:06
Large pieces of elk antler tend to be porous in the middle, so you may have to work around this. Sounds like you are just going to cut scales out of the outer portion, so it should work. I would cut it with a band saw, and then you will need to work the back down flat to fit the tang of the knife.
Look for the antler to smell really good as it gets hot.

http://i35.tinypic.com/t5gexi.jpg

Critch
10-04-2009, 08:38
That is a gorgeous knife..

Johnny P
10-05-2009, 12:45
The knife is a modern copy by Mike Malosh of a William "Bill" Scagel knife. Scagel was the pioneer of the custom knife makers, and his knives are readily identified by the used of different color stacked spacers with a piece of deer or elk antler as the butt cap.

desert guy
10-05-2009, 03:05
JohnnyP:
Thought it looked familiar; was wondering if it was a Randall repro/copy.

Johnny P
10-06-2009, 06:32
Bill Scagel started making knives sometime right after 1900, and his knives are probably copied more than any other maker. His designs also influenced virtually every custom knife maker today. It is not unusual for a nice original Scagel knife to sell up to the mid five figure range today.