PDA

View Full Version : Meeting General "Black Jack" Pershing

Liam
10-25-2010, 11:18
Per Rick's request -

I have listened to WWI vet Frank Buckles recount his meeting with General Pershing several times. Here's what I remember:

Pershing visited Oklahoma City while traveling the country after WWI (1919 or 1920). Mr. Buckles got in uniform and went down to where an official gathering was taking place and stood in line to meet the general. After all, he had been the overall commander while Mr. Buckles was in France. Some small banter took place followed by a "snappy salute" rendered to the general. As Frank walked away Pershing noticed that Frank was wearing (or carrying?) gloves which was an indicator that a soldier is cavalry. A Sgt. was dispatched by Pershing to retrieve Frank and they had a talk. Apparently, gloves were an optional uniform item and Frank was, and is, a fastidious dresser. During their talk they discovered that Pershing and Frank had been born some 30 miles from one another - Pershing in Laclede, MO and Frank in Bethany, MO.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/Liam_068/gloves.jpg

Rick
10-25-2010, 06:28
Great post Liam. Did Mr. Buckles ever tell you about being a POW in Japan during WW-2 ?

Liam
10-26-2010, 04:42
Frank never made it to Japan. He was held prisoner in two different camps in the Philippines. His weight dropped below 100 lbs. during his incarceration. He says he stopped weighing himself once he dipped below 100. He still has the tin cup in which the meager rice rations were served. Frank doesn't dwell too long on the difficulties of those two years. Either it is uncomfortable for him to recant, or he simply assumes all know what went on. One thing - Frank kept secreted an ironed white cotton shirt from the Japanese. He wanted something special to wear in the case of rescue/release. As I said, Frank was, AND IS, a fastidious dresser!

Liam
10-26-2010, 04:48
Frank Buckles and the cup he likes to tell folks about.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/Liam_068/armymil-2008-03-07-094431.jpg

Rick
10-26-2010, 11:38
I read even though Mr. Buckles dropped below 100 pounds he still lead the camp in calisthenics every day. God must have a special plan for Mr. Buckles. Surviving WW-1 and then the Japanese POW camp in WW-2 defies all the odds.