PDA

View Full Version : Antelope and the 9.3X62

KenK
10-22-2010, 06:22
Took a buck and a doe Antelope here in Montana last week with my 9.3X62 Mauser Sporter. The buck standing at 160 yards and the doe running at 150 yarrds. Didn't lead the doe enough and the bullet entered behind the last rib slightly angled forward. Never moved when she hit the ground. The 270 grain Speer bullet works well. Hope everyone hunting has success.

Bill
10-23-2010, 12:30
The 9.3 x 62 is a very good round. It is similiar to the .35 Whelen, although the available bullets are a little heavier. It was developed by Mauser for the African trade, a low cost rifle for the German settlers.

It is still highly regarded in Africa, and some of the areas which limit dangerous game to .375 and larger will look the other way for locals who use the 9.3x62, I was told by my PH last year.

Wish I had one.

Ken The Kanuck
10-23-2010, 04:27
Well done Ken.

KTK

da gimp
10-23-2010, 08:27
Brother used a borrowed 9mmX62mm (his PH's) for plains game on safari in the late 60's, was very pleased with the rifle & cartridge.

Enjoy it, brass isn't cheap, but Midway has it , along with dies. We shoot old German drillings & you'll come to treasure each piece of brass.............With the right load & right bullet, I'd use it on moose, big bear. Is your rifle scoped?

da gimp

KenK
10-24-2010, 08:41
No scope, just two leaf rear sight. Brass for the 9.3X62 is not expensive from Graf And Son.

mike webb
10-25-2010, 06:19
Pretty big gun for pronghorn, I'll bet it really flattens them. Never tried it but is pronghorn anything like venison or totally different.

KenK
10-25-2010, 07:29
It flattened them well. Antelope is my favorite wild game to eat and hunt. A little more wild flavor than venison. Great Bar-B Qued.

da gimp
10-25-2010, 07:11
pronghorn sticks & jerky is flat out wonderful, I suspect a lot has to do with how well & fast the carcass was cleaned & cooled out, like any other animal & if you had time to dry age the meat before processing. We even have our steer hung for 21 days & that might b rushing it.

da gimp

BudT
10-25-2010, 08:00
Good on you Ken, I have a goat tag for 330 unit. All the goats I have seen so far were running as hard as they could a mile out so I think they have been pounded pretty hard. A friend and I went out riding the quads the other day (supposed to be hunting) and had a load of fun, saw one bunch of goats but didnt get a total count but I did see 11 bucks in that band two of them had to be 14 inchers again running like there was no tomorrow so no shooting for me. At least those were only 1/4 mile away. I would assume that you also like sage hens by the way you say you like strong meat. Theres a good crop of them around this area this year if you hunt them and want to I can give ya the particulars of where.

Regards
BudT

KenK
10-26-2010, 05:44
BubT. I grew up on a ranch in northern Nevada. We lived on wild game. Sage hens are tasty as long as they were young ones. I've eaten my share of them. Heading to Ennis for five days of Deer hunting on Thursday. My parents live there. Got to try out my Mauser sporter someone set back and rechambered to 358 Winchester. Got to get with you next year on those sagehens.