PDA

View Full Version : K98 becoming un-popular?

Roadkingtrax
10-07-2010, 02:46
I have been talking with a owner here and there....

Does anyone get the impression that the K98 is becoming a less desired weapon? It may just be the economy, but with the Russian Captures drying up...you would think that it would be just the opposite? Coming from a Germany born father...I guess just have a stronger connection. I have yet to get the chance to but my Grandfathers Bayonet on one....

Liam
10-07-2010, 05:31
I tip my hat to the genius of Paul Mauser, but I gotta say that of the 7 calibers I own and reload for, the 8mm is the least enjoyable to shoot. A strong second is the 7.62x54. Russian captures are drying up, eh? Well, Mausers still abound with many national crests upon their receivers. Some made by non-Germans. I have a Persian 98/29 Mauser made by Czechs on German tooling from 1931 - beautiful rifle. I would still like a 7mm Mauser and I would still shoot it. The K98 crowd have their own websites and the interest seems self-perpetuating, despite the Mitchell's Mausers bastardizations. I can appreciate the interest in the K98. I just don't share it. I have Ball's book and find the odd iterations more interesting. If the gun show prices are any indication, the K98s are still of interest TO SOMEONE.

randy langford
10-07-2010, 06:00
I have one of each of all the Mauser designs 71, 71/84, 91, 93, 96, and K98 and it is my least favorite. I think it may have to do with older collectors passing away. Just my thoughts.

jgaynor
10-07-2010, 07:10
I would think a really intersting Mauser collection would be the carbines.

Regards,

Jim

joem
10-08-2010, 06:15
The K98 is one of my favorites. It's supposed to be a rusisan capture. It shoots well and has a smooth action. I've probably put 5 or 6 K rounds down range.

jisii
10-13-2010, 08:20
I currently own 25 bolt action military rifles, including 03 and 03A3 Springfields (8), M1917s (3), British 303 Lee Enfields (7), British P14 303 (1), Gewehr 98 Mausers (2) Yugo Mausers (2), one German Made "Mauser Chileno 7.62 conversion and one Russian Capture bcd 4K98 (top in picture). Of all of them I can shoot the best groups (with my handloads) with the K98. I guess I really got a good one From Inter Ordnance 6 years ago. I reload 8x57mm to approach 30-06 performance and this old piece really eats it up. Just my .02.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/jisii/Mausers/MauserCollection3.jpg

Art
10-14-2010, 01:30
Popularity with Milsurps comes and goes. I remember when Lee Enfield type rifles, especially the No 4s went begging. In the 1950s to late 1960s Mausers, especially Mauser 98s just about ruled the Milsurp roost. That has certainly changed now.

As was mentioned the release of Russian battlefield captures invigorated the market for a while just like the CMP sales of MAP returned M1903s invigorated that market.

I do think the demand for Mauser milsurps is down right now but that only increases the opportunity for some great deals.

Johnny P
10-14-2010, 11:34
Just let an original matching numbers K98k hit the market and see what it goes for. You just don't see original rifles come up for sale very often.

Michaelp
10-15-2010, 11:58
Johnny P is absolutely spot on.

The flood of RCs really clouded up the issue for those not already involved in Mausers.

The "Bolt only" MMs are gaining.

Roadkingtrax
10-15-2010, 12:04
The one and only TRUE K98 that I own is probably a 50's 60's MM Bolt. 27 ERMA The stock, may be a yugo capture stock. The upper band has a strange stamp...almost like a seashell? The Bolt matches itself, Everything else matches except for the floor plate which is a WW1 type stamp? Bore is about 90%...little rough in the grooves about 6 inches back from the muzzle otherwise bright and shiny.

The two others are of the Norwegian Capture type, FLY and HAER....very accurate rifles and balance well in my hands better then any 1903 I have shot yet....must be the German in me :).

dave
11-18-2010, 12:02
Two things: 1. true matched K98k,s are just too expensive for most. I own several, purchased back in the 50's from gun shops for 30-40 bucks. I could not afford them now! These are most likely bring backs. Probably all mismatched to rifle but with self matched bolts are also bring backs, very commen when picked up from capture piles, rifles in one pile bolts in another. I value these almost as much as 100% matched. 2. These rifles have dried up into collections and will not be for sale soon, thus driving price up! Check out Rock Island Auction site, they have many of K98k's for sale from time to time, including even snipers. Must go for a big buck!

True collectors are not interested in RC's! I think tho, that they would make an interesting collection as RC's but never compare to original ones!

nhcruffler
11-26-2010, 11:28
One sad fact is that many of the men that brought back K98s are no longer with us. The bright side is that the rifles are still around. Some still sit in the back of a widows closet. Others have been handed down to relatives that are just not into firearms. Keep a sharp eye out and talk to people. You never know what they would be happy to get rid of. Sometimes if I stop at a garage sale I will casually ask if they have any firearms that they would be willing to sell. That has not actually panned out for me but I have gotten several nice pieces from a few old gals I know. One gals father was a Colonel Major back before WWI. She was ready to give me an old Trapdoor Springfield but I told her that it should stay in the family. I cleaned it up and she gave it to her grandson. Talk to your local small gun shop. He may not have much of a market for old Mausers. Tell him you may be interested if someone tries to sell him one. With a finders fee of course! Keep looking . I know I am. NH