PDA

View Full Version : Israeli .308 Mausers

CMP Shooter
10-07-2010, 08:20
I have an opportunity to purchase a FN manufactured .308 bolt action Mauser. Since I'd like to shoot it in the CMP Vintage class, does anyone have experience with this rifle accuracy-wise? I'm not a big fan of the K98 front sight, but otherwise they seem to be fine rifles.

Dave in NGA
10-07-2010, 11:32
I own a 98 mauser built upon a Brazilian action with a new FN made 308 barrel. I don't think it was part of the Israel group since it's stock lacks the Star or David. It looks like a very nice arsenal or factory rebuild. Shooting from a rest with the original iron sights and military ammo I get groups on the order of 2 to 2.5 inches at 100 yards. I think the rifle could do better and the hold up is the sights.

CMP Shooter
10-07-2010, 12:48
Thanks Dave. I consider that level of accuracy in my milsurps to be quite acceptable. I assume you were shooting surplus ammo when you shot the groups? I might be able to tighten it up a bit with handloads.

Bill
10-07-2010, 12:51
I have one manufactured by FN .308 with the star on the receiver. It is in good shape, and shoots about like any other 98 mauser.

I don't know if rules allow changing the front sight, but the Mauser sight is very poor. My eyesight is not as good as it was years ago, and I have difficulty with this sight, far more than with an 03 or M1 sight.

Dave in NGA
10-07-2010, 05:37
If the original sights are modified, would the rifle be disqualified from CMP vintage class competition? What I have in mind is to mill the sides of the front sight straight and file the rear sight groove square to give a better sight picture. Or better yet, does anyone offer replacement sights such as this?

CMP Shooter
10-08-2010, 06:25
Dave, any modifications to the as-issued sights would disqualify the rifle from competition. I don't think I could shoot a K98 on an overcast day as the front sight would be invisible, at least for me.

Bill
10-08-2010, 06:50
Rather than mofify the front sight, purchase one which is intended to be filed down to whatever shape you want, then keep the original if you want to "restore" the rifle. You can also purchase fairly inexpensively an extra rear sight for the same purpose.

I don't know if this is legal for the match you intend to participate in, however.

BigMo
10-17-2010, 06:58
IIRC the rules allow for a replacement sight and sling swivel modifications to make it easier to shoot. The changes were in this years rule book. (I have it at the house- when I get there i'll reference it for you).

BigMo
10-18-2010, 08:09
CMP Shooter:
In the 2010 CMP rule book 6.3.6 As-Issued Foreign Military Rifle
Paragraph (6) specifically allows you to change the front sight. Para (7) allows you to change the sling swivel to allow a bottom swivel large enough for a US sling to attach.
Para (11) may disqualify you though as it says that the rifles must be in the original caliber they were designed.
I'm setting up a K98k with the same thing in mind.

bruce
11-12-2010, 05:27
For quite a while I had a M-98 Israeli in 7.62mm NATO. It was a mix of parts with a perfect barrel. I fiddled with the trigger just a little bit and ended up with a rifle that would put 10 rounds into 2.25 inches for just about as long as you wanted to pull the trigger. Learn to use the issue rear sight and you will do just fine. The adjustments are coarse. You might want to fit a replacement front sight that is a bit taller. Run the rear sight up a couple of notches. Then file the front sight down until you are zeroed at the correct range. That way you have a bit of adjustment possible if you want to try different loads. Try to zero windage on a no-wind day. In a match you'll have to hold off. With practice you can do it fairly consistently.

Mobile Marksman
01-05-2011, 07:00
That 2" sounds about right. I have four Israeli K98 7.62 rifles and the two with good bores will shoot LC ball into 1 1/2"- 2" for 5 shots or 2" for 10 shots at 100yds. With handloads a little better. That's off the bench with bags. The sights are challenging to my 49 year-old eyes. OK for 200 yards for me though. As said by Bruce above, the tall front sight can be modified to give a good 200 yard zero for your load plus some adjustment.

I have been tempted to use one of mine in the Vintage Match at the CMP Western Games - Always went with another rifle though (M96/38, M96, M91 Argentine, Finn Nagant, K31). The front sling attachment isn't perfect for the 1907 sling but the canvas sling clip can be modified to work.