PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian K98

Roadkingtrax
10-01-2010, 09:37
Anyone here own one? I just got an Air Force one...nice rifles....shoots 30-06 with no 8mm to clean up after. It is amazing that so long after the war that the Norde's kept most of the parts together like the previous owners.

dave
10-01-2010, 10:14
I have one, Haer. Also 30-06. I have never shot it, it just keeps my other K98k.'s company. Some were also rebarred to 7.62 Nato, I understand!

Roadkingtrax
10-01-2010, 10:44
Yes they were...of course ours are 7.62 too....but 7.62x63 not x51 or .308

I have a heavily tiger striped HAER (Army)...and now a Mauser 42 Air Force. The both have perfect bores and a muzzle of .5 or less. I just wish the HAER had a tiger striped or walnut handguard...not a blonde laminate.

HAER:

Garden Valley
10-01-2010, 10:59
One of the most interesting aspects of these rifles is the method used by the Norwegians to stretch the magazine box to accomodate the .30-06 cartridge, and, as was mentioned, how they still managed to keep all the original numbered parts together for reassembly. They are very nice rifles.

Roadkingtrax
10-01-2010, 12:05
One of the most interesting aspects of these rifles is the method used by the Norwegians to stretch the magazine box to accomodate the .30-06 cartridge, and, as was mentioned, how they still managed to keep all the original numbered parts together for reassembly. They are very nice rifles.

I'll have to inspect the mag box,...I did not know they I assume...heat streched them?

Garden Valley
10-01-2010, 05:37
Don't know if they first heated them, possibly so, but it looks more like they had a die and small forge to reshape it. The corresponding area of the stock was not done quite so neatly or uniformly as they were done by hand. They also milled the notch in the receiver ring for the longer .30-06 cartridge and those were done quite nicely. Is your rifle the one that was on GB not too long ago? I saw one of these that was an AF rifle and was a byf 41. It was in really nice condition and I thought quite a bit about purchasing it for a companion to my standard 8mm byf 41. I should also mention that a quantity of the reshaped trigger guards are currently being sold on several sites and I have not seen on any of these offerings a disclosure about the trigger guard having been reshaped. If someone purchases one of these for use on an 8mm rifle they will have to modify their stock and then will have to deal with the potential for 8mm cartridges to get caught under the front end of the receiver as there is nothing to keep the 8mm cartridges from sliding forward other than the tension of the mag spring.

Roadkingtrax
10-02-2010, 12:35
If you're referring to the FLY rifle that just sold on Gunbroker? Yeah,..I picked that one up. It is a Mauser 42 marked rifle, mostly matching. Faded but good looking finish. I really seem to like the white numbers on the stock. The buttplate had about 1/4" or less of overhang on the metal. I thought about swapping the stock out for my un-used Norwegian take off I already have. The stock, is original to the rifle...but was sanded by the Norde's as you know. I made a choice to take a double-cut file and even it up with the stock. The buttplate was also 1938 Numbered original. I maintained the correct contour and now it looks great on the stock,...not even noticeable.