PDA

View Full Version : Economy recoil pad

Griff Murphey
09-16-2010, 12:34
I had a 72 year old retired Army JAG Col. in my office today and we were talking about shooting. He said that when he went to Army ROTC summer camp at Fort Hood in 1960 the recoil of the M-1 bothered him. The marksmanship instructors advised those cadets to go to the PX and purchase packages of sanitary napkin pads such as Kotex, and wear them under their fatigue shirts. Actually, that's kind of a good idea that you could use at a sight-in day or a clinic like Appleseed! Sounds silly, but I can see that it would work!

JimF
09-16-2010, 01:53
I once shot with a guy that did just that!

Worked fine . . . . . for HIM! --Jim

Griff Murphey
09-17-2010, 04:49
Maybe we could get Kotex to run some properly labeled and in military brown, OD or Camo, to make their use less embarassing.

Jeff L
09-23-2010, 09:27
I heard the boys in the sand box use them for field dressings in a jam. Apparently they work very well.

-Jeff L

John Kepler
09-24-2010, 02:19
Uhhhh......any of you guys married or have daughters? The "Kotex" ya'll are describing went the way of the buggy-whip years ago!. However, not to worry....there is an "equivalent" that is far more available, easier to get, and won't get you looked at funny....a disposable diaper. Besides, who needs them if you wear a shooting coat?

Griff Murphey
09-25-2010, 08:18
Well, we're married, probably most of us O.F.'s; or HAVE been; but for most of the guys on this forum, their opposite number's baby factory probably went out of business a few years back. Kind of like Springfield Armory. But they are fun to look at and take tours through, though.

Actually I was thinking it made sense for newbies and amateurs for one-time field-expedient use, not for serious shooters such as us. John, I guess you are right about KOTEX no longer being made. You are "ALWAYS" thinking! We'll gladly let you "STAY FREE" on this forum!