PDA

View Full Version : m1871 Single Shot

wsfbernie
08-26-2010, 11:38
All the original marks have been ground off the buttplate. I only have a modern number
stamped: appears to be 3012P. Any ideas?

randy langford
08-28-2010, 04:48
What is your question? the ground off marks would be the regiment or unit Randy

wsfbernie
08-31-2010, 01:55
Does the number 3012P mean a later re-issuance? It doesn't appear to be a serial number
and is stamped horizontally in the center of the buttplate. All numbers were removed from the
brass triggerguard also, although the imperial inspection mark is still there. Although rarely
done, would this rifle have been reissued say to rear echelon reservists, hence the removal
of the older marks?

randy langford
08-31-2010, 05:07
As you may already know every part on these old Mausers is serial numbered to gun smaller parts have the last two digits. The buttplate probably came off another rifle. Looked at my one 71 Mauser and the serial number on my buttplate is located in the same spot as yours and it matches the number on the receiver. Post some pictures we love pictures.

wsfbernie
09-02-2010, 10:08
Good point. I've seen this in early Maursers. In later issues, I've seen other numbers issued. Do you have any information on this?
Later, WWI and WWII issues were re-stamped and this info would be useful to me; an older person with some issues. wsfbernie