PDA

View Full Version : Nice to see this board finally coming to life!

Jeff L
08-24-2010, 02:41
I knew it would eventually. :icon_salut:

-Jeff L

phil441
08-24-2010, 08:21
Everyone who has spent time in the military or even ROTC will have a few stories to tell. Many won't speak of their combat experiences, but most all have something to share with the rest of us if they will. Each story brings back memories of similar experiences we've had.
It's amazing how some of these stories can bring back long-dormant recollections. I for one am all ears.....

UUURah
08-29-2010, 03:18
I don't have a big story to tell about being in The Corps but here is something that has come about recently. It has impacted me greatly.

Last October I got a call about 9:00 one night. Guy asked if I was the ___ ___ who was at Parris Island, platoon 238, June 1962.

I said, Yes. He said "do you remember _____ _____ (him)"? I said "like it was yesterday".

He had retired and was one of those Genealogists who traced his family back 200 years. I didn't remember but he had gotten everyone's home address at the time, was able to track many down that way. He had contacted either by phone, email, or mail about 25 of the 70. He also found several had passed away, spoke to their relatives, how they had lived, and died.

I helped him track down the rest of us. There were six who went in together from our city. One is missing, from my high school class, we don't know where he's at. One died on January 1. I emailed him the obit, he was very sad that he never talked to him. But through the obit, he was able to track down the guy's son, get all the details, and learn about how he had spent the last 40+ years.

I said this guy is good. He lives in Illinois, Northern I think, big hunter and fisherman. We have talked on the phone several times, we talk for 30 - 40 minutes and it never gets boring. He will say "do you remember when we ......."?

He also has sent me pictures taken in 1962 of Parris Island by his parents who were there on Grad Day. Pictures of the long gone wooden barracks. To me those are priceless.

Have swapped emails with some other guys too who want to reminisce about that time. It always impacts 18-21 year olds the rest of their lives, to be put in that situation when young.

Oh, our Senior DI died in 05 of a heart attack. This guy spoke with his son, born after our PI days. The other two DI's he hasn't located, thinks they are still alive.

It's fascinating. It was the phone call that I always thought would come, in the back of my mind, one day.