PDA

View Full Version : Hikes: Blisters, No Water, Heat Prostration, Sweat, and Cheating

Griff Murphey
08-23-2010, 06:28
Have you ever made a hike in un-broken-in boots? I have, and I'll never do it again.... It was 1967 and I was an ROTC college boy. Right outside the gate of Fort Sam Houston there was a military shop that had new commercially made jungle boots. To me, these really looked like the stuff! Just like the guys in combat wore, and light weight, too. And the heck with those bulky wool GI socks. I'll just buy THESE nifty nylon socks to wick away the sweat! We started at the Camp Bullis main base. I believe the mileage was 12 miles straight up the middle of Bullis. It was an evening hike and it did not take too long before several other people besides myself began to figure out that non-broken-in boots were a bad idea, also, we were out of water. We camped in a lovely stream-bed area and drank the cool water under the Texas moonlight. The next morning when we got up, we thanked the Lord for our WW2 halizone tablets as the water was full of cow paddies. Basically at this point we had at least four or five people who could NOT walk the 12 miles back, so two guys who were athletes ran back to camp. Despite the stern signs "NO POVs PAST THIS POINT" they didn't bother to ask the Army; just drove two cars back and rescued us.

My next memorable hike was at Fort Sill in 1970. I learned there, don't carry the M-60. Moskowitz did, and he had heat prostration. It was only 10 clicks, but 110 in the shade. Ahhh, clorox-flavored water!

I was with 1st Bn 4th Marines in 1975 at the MAU CAMP in Subic Bay as their Navy dentist. The Battalion is taking a hike, and the Lt. Col. tells me I am expected to walk it with him. I inform him, just in case he does not know, that I have patients on Saturday and he will, I am sure, want me to stay and fix those Marines' teeth. The Lieutenant-Colonel, who had just relieved our Vietnam Evac CO who was sent home in glory, reminds me that I had gone to Baguio with the Chaplain, Father Mattie, and had not let my weekend dental case load bother me then. So at that point I was pretty much sunk.

As we left the NEW ORLEANS the Lt. Col. set a really fast pace with a really long stride. I started about the mid-point of the Battalion and I just could not keep the speed, which was about like the Grambling Tiger Band's. So I'm falling further and further back. Had a couple of LATE Marines just in from the 'Po run past me... no pistol belts, no water. Right, I figured (accurately) I would see them again, later. After a while I had drifted all the way back to the very end of the column.

At the end was HM-2 Havens, driving a gray Navy IH Scout in low gear. It was already full to bursting with flaked-out Marines, some of whom were the late arrivals I had seen trying to catch up with their companies. So... allright. Fat boy Navy dental LT gets into that Scout. At one point Havens had to run back to the ship and let some of the seriously non-walking wounded out. We caught back up with the Battalion as it finished going through Calliyagaan (I'm spelling phonetically, maybe some old Subic hand can correct me), the family housing area. It's all just steep hills. Very steep. The entire Battalion, at that point, is on the ground gasping for air. The XO, Major "Iron" Mike McGowan, strides up and orders everyone in the Scout out, saying "YOU PEOPLE GET OUTTA THAT VEHICLE! WE HAVE SOME REALLY BAD PEOPLE HERE - we NEED THAT VEHICLE." So having been kicked out of my wheels I start wandering up fo the front of the column. I had only missed about 3 miles of the hike, but it was THE WORST part of the hike. One of the Company Commanders saw me, and ignorant of my motorization in the hilly area, complimented me, citing "...all these non-hackers, yet here YOU are, Doc!" I didn't correct him.

I found the command group. The MAU commander, similar in status to a BG, was an older white-haired full Colonel, and he was sitting on the ground, in pretty rough shape. The Lt. Col, turned away from him and muttered to another officer, "Here's where I could make a name for myself and walk the MAU's ass into the ground!"

"There's water! WATER at the rear of the column!" cried out a corporal. "Thank GOD!" the MAU cried, and dumped his 2 or three swallows of water on his head, handing his canteen to the corporal. At this point I had about 1/3 a canteen or less left, myself. Then, my Army ROTC training kicked in and I decided to hold onto what I had.

"I'm sorry, Sirs!" said the corporal as he returned gloomily, empty canteens dangling lightly from his fingers, "they were already all out..." Saw THAT coming a mile off. I offered the MAU my canteen and of course he wouldn't accept. So the BN CO Lt. Col. starts us up again only this time he had apparently thought matters over and the pace was a bit more genteel. As we approach the ship this same Company Commander comes up and cautions me to get behind the MAU. Not good for the Battalion Navy Dentist to lead the hike in, you know (Ok yeah, well, I had cheated, but HE didn't know that).

There was a screech of tires and a man in immaculate whites jumped out of his car. It was LT Craig Wright, a "brother" from College Army ROTC Pershing Rifles who had been on the 1967 hike, also now a Navy dental officer. Small world, and matters had come full circle! "Bye Craig, gotta keep up!"

I'm gonna say it was a 15 mile hike, of which I had done the 12 easy miles. I have never been so sore in all my life. My fatigues (utilities, as the Gyrenes say) were wet like you stopped the washing machine and took them out during the rinse cycle! I have never worn clothes that wet in my entire life.

If I am going on too much please let me know. I just noticed there has not been much written lately and thought this topic might be interesting. Anyone else, please add your hike stories!

Nick Riviezzo
08-24-2010, 05:18
Murph, Too late now, but if you put on the nylon socks,powder the heck out of them THEN pull the wool socks over them,powder and put on boots. The nylon sticks to your feet and slides inside the wool socks thus preventing blisters. No, it won't help much with new boots.Thanks for the postings they bring back memories. Nick BTW: just wondering if that Lt.Col. ever needed any dental work after that hike???NR

Griff Murphey
08-24-2010, 11:17
Actually, No, he never presented for dental work. He did stab himself later with a K-Bar (guess he did not have a P-38), trying to open a can of C-rats. He had it down on the floor for leverage and the K-bar slipped and went into his calf. When it was all over we had an end-float party back at Camp Hansen. I made a bunch of plaster boots for each of the officers, kind of like those bas-relief British heads. They were real nice, done custom for each guy, and all painted up. Like for our ALO I did a boot with rotors coming out of it, for the Comm guy I did a silver space-boot with antennas coming out of it. For the LT. Col. I did a boot with the K-bar stuck in it!

Had a friend on Camp Hansen, another Navy LT dentist, passed one USMC Major. I gave him my best vibrating-board-like salute, my friend gave him a nod and "Mornin' Major!" and that dentist got his heels locked, a fairly rare occurance. Friend did some research, finds out Major is coming to see the periodontist. The Perio guy (Cdr Lou Klemme) was ex-Army dental, Vietnam vet etc. but he had a sense of humor and let Fulks take his place. So Fulks has him in his chair and slowly lowers his mask theatrically saying "Mornin' Major!" The Major quickly apologized and said that since he knew the dentists were usually not militarily trained he was just trying to pass on the customs of the Service, etc., etc.! Several years later as a civilian I pulled the same number when I was filling in for another dentist and my megabitch high school chemistry teacher sat in the chair, with much the same result!

UUURah
08-29-2010, 04:56
Years ago I had my share of blisters with those black USMC boots. However...

Recently I caught a good deal in an auction on some USMC desert boots, brown, used but like new from Iraq service. $44.

They are some of the MOST comfortable boots I have ever wore. Marines (and I assume Army too) have nothing to complain about in the boot department today.

Griff Murphey
08-29-2010, 06:38
Yeah but they don't have the joy of Spit shining. I may be weird but I spent so many years doing it, I like it. I have a pair of black leather boots I keep spit shined and use occasionally in vintage shoots. Hard to imagine a military that no longer spit shines (low quarters today are usually fake patent leather corfam....!)

Former Cav
09-23-2010, 08:16
Hard to imagine a military that no longer spit shines (low quarters today are usually fake patent leather corfam....!)

some stroke bought a pair of those during Basic Combat Training at Ft. Knox in Jun 1965. The D.I. stepped on the toe and ground his foot kind of like Lee Van Cleef in the Clint Eastwood movie... Then he told the kid to be sure to "shine them up". He did a pretty good job using a combination of vaseline and Kiwi black polish as I recall.

We had marched out to the rifle range at Ft. Knox, via Misery and Agony hills...we did our bivouac week with the low crawl through the live fire etc. We were in ranks and lining up to march back to the barracks and a deuce and a half pulls up. I thought, oh great, we are going to get to ride back.... har har... the DI says "everyone take off your boots and tie them together and file on up here and throw them in the back of the truck. Then reach into your pack and take out the other pair of boots you were told to bring with you and put them on". There were quite a few guys who marched back in their stocking feet. Some of them cut up their feet on the sharp rocks just getting off of the rifle range. I was glad I brought my boots!
Bob

TomSudz
09-25-2010, 09:16
Under the cheating department- In basic, our company commander was a gung-ho Ranger. Rangers this, Rangers that, Rangers are sooooo much better! On any marches, he'd be practically running up and down the company with a huuuuuge pack, telling all of us to suck it up and move faster, "Look at the pack I'm carrying- it's three times what you're carrying and I'm not complaining a bit!" I'll tell you, it was quite impressive to see him running with that giant pack! We sucked it up and moved out. If he could carry that thing, we had to keep up.

Well, one day me and two other guys get ordered to clean the CO's office. There stood that gigantic pack. I had to move it to clean the area it was in. So I stooped down and mustered my strength to pick it up. I grabbed it by the shoulder straps and heaved. I damned near did a back flip! What the heck? The other guys are laughing at my acrobatics, but become curious when they see me standing there with the CO's 300 pound pack in one hand. We opened it to peek in. There inside the pack was a plastic garbage bag filled with styrofoam packing peanuts! That SOB! The next time we were out marching away, here comes the Captain, calling us wusses and such, cajoling us to move along. So I say to him when he's near me, "I'll trade packs with you, sir!" No response, a dirty look, and away he went. Lesson learned- all is not as it appears. (and some Rangers cheat)

Griff Murphey
09-26-2010, 08:10
Nothing against Rangers, it's a tough program, but some of them get too much into it. When I was the dental officer in 1st Bn 4th Marines I was surprised that 2 or 3 of our Marine officers had been to Ranger school. They said the Army guys asked them: "Why are you going to Ranger School if you cannot wear the RANGER tab!?" (As most of you will know, USMC do not wear patches, "period." Badges, yes, but NOT patches, anymore.)

TomSudz
09-26-2010, 09:28
True. it's the training that's important, not the patch. One of my roommates at Campbell went on to be an instructor at the Ranger school. I taught him everything he knows. LOL.