PDA

View Full Version : Target rifle sling needed for HP?

Jeff L
08-20-2010, 03:58
I currently have a leather Turner 1907 sling on my SA 1903 and WW2 OD web sling on my 03A3. Is it worthwhile to invest in a target sling (front arm type)?

TIA

-Jeff L

Maury Krupp
08-20-2010, 04:33
No.

Any design other than the two you've already got will DQ you from Service Rifle and CMP Games.

Once you get it set up right, either one will do everything a sling needs to do.

Maury

Liam
08-20-2010, 05:40
I bought Glen Zediker's "Service Rifle Slings" (www.zediker.com) when the 1907 Turner sling was new to me. It took all the mystery away. I was previously unaware that the 1907 sling could be configured in several different ways, to include a "no pulse" configuration if you have the gumption. His larger book "Slings and Things" is aimed at the serious shooter and covers EVERYTHING a person might tote to the firing line (stools, scopes, etc.). The "Service Rifle Slings" book was a good fit for me - a farm field shooter who just wants to utilize his equipment as best he can for his M1903 and M1. The book covers the 1907 sling, the green web sling, and even the crappy black nylon sling that comes on any M16/M4 variant. Special attention is given to methods that comply with Service Rifle and CMP Games. I highly recommend the book. It runs around $20 with shipping. HTH - Liam

Jeff L
08-20-2010, 07:15
Good to know. Thanks guys.

-Jeff L

PhillipM
08-26-2010, 06:58
Liam, thanks for that post! Jeff, I bought a two Turners from the man himself at the Alabama Gun Collector's show a few years ago, one a biothane all weather sling and the other the leather NM. The biothane is what I'm shooting in the pictures and it does a much better job gripping and staying put.

Griff Murphey
08-27-2010, 05:07
The Les Tam NM slings are great. Just be ready they take serious break-in.

dzelenka
08-27-2010, 08:34
Tam slings are the best. My first, after 5 years of weekly use in all kinds of weather, had stretched exactly none. I was pretty shocked. I am considering ordering a 3rd. I have a Turner. While it is a good sling, it is nothing even close to a Tam.

PhillipM
09-06-2010, 11:53
Two questions. First, I always thought the sling had to remain attached to the rifle, but in the matches I have fired they allow the sling to be removed for the standing position. Was there a change?

Second question, I've looked up the no pulse configurations on the web and wonder should I rig it up oppositely since I'm a lefty.

Maury Krupp
09-06-2010, 01:25
An attached sling in Standing is optional for Match Rifles but required for Service Rifles. See CMP Rule 6.9.7(1) and NRA Rule 5.12(b).

The no-pulse rigs I've seen look like they'd work lefty or righty. There might be a difference getting in and out of them though. Try it and see.

Personally, I'm happy with the USMC (ie, backwards) rig for a Turner M1907 AWS. It's quick, easy, I don't need another sling for Standing, and I don't see any pulse with it either.

Maury