PDA

View Full Version : mauser ser #

joe
08-16-2010, 07:59
Hello i have a question everything i read says mausers have a four digit ser # mine has three and no letters in it how do i identify the year it is a 9 x 57 with a ramp front sight double set triggers. thank

Johnny P
08-16-2010, 08:49
I think the information you are referring to is on military Mausers. In a couple of years Mauser also used a five digit serial number with a letter suffix since anticipated production would be unusually high in those years. On the military Lugers, P.38's, and K98k rifles the serial number started at 1 and went through 9999, where it started back over at 1a and went to 9999a, then b and so on through the alphabet. Some K98k production was so high that they went through the alphabet once and started over with an aa suffix.
The military K98k rifles were dated on the front of the receiver with the code for the manufacturer. If yours is a sporter it may have been made from a military rifle with the markings removed, and a new serial number applied.

joe
08-16-2010, 09:54
Thank you i had it bore casted and the gun dealer offered me 800.oo and said it was in poor shape it looks really nice to me so i think ill wait and try to get more for it.

kcw
08-22-2010, 08:33
Could very well be what is known as a "Guild Gun" , a commercial sporting rifle put together in any number of small German gun shops; very likely a GI "bring back". If it's a guild rifle there'll be some markings on the underside of the barrel, you'll have to take the stock off.
One such marking will be a crown/N ; the commercial nitro proof stamping used from 1893-1939. You might also find a "caliber" marking, something like 9mm/57 or 9/57.
The stamping requirments for nitro rifles varied during the years 1893-1939. The combination of markings that you may have might give an indication of when the rifle was proofed. Often you'll find a combnation of older stamps along with a more modern one. The proof law required the use of the new (current) marks, but didn't prohibit the use of obsolete stamps which where often included through force of habit.

Tuna
08-22-2010, 09:40
Is the receiver marked Mauser? Does it have a folding rear sight? If so this could be a commercial made between the wars model. Pictures of it would help to ID it.

da gimp
08-22-2010, 09:53
the 9X57 is about the same as our .358Win. in velocity, trajectory & power. Does the stock have a small cheek rest? Rear peep sight, folding leaf rear? Square bridge or round? In other words, me and Tuna would like pix before we offer any other guesses. Does it have claw mounts for a scope?What are the markings on the receiver? byq or Mauser, Steyr etc?

da gimp

dave
08-22-2010, 12:41
Could very well be what is known as a "Guild Gun" , a commercial sporting rifle put together in any number of small German gun shops; very likely a GI "bring back". If it's a guild rifle there'll be some markings on the underside of the barrel, you'll have to take the stock off.
One such marking will be a crown/N ; the commercial nitro proof stamping used from 1893-1939. You might also find a "caliber" marking, something like 9mm/57 or 9/57.
The stamping requirments for nitro rifles varied during the years 1893-1939. The combination of markings that you may have might give an indication of when the rifle was proofed. Often you'll find a combnation of older stamps along with a more modern one. The proof law required the use of the new (current) marks, but didn't prohibit the use of obsolete stamps which where often included through force of habit.

I have a guild rifle built on a Kar.98a WW1 action. Probably a GI bring back. I would imagine the 1939 proof law was still used after the war, till Germany got around to changing it. Any proof law used until 1939 certainly would not be used in 1945. As to cal. marking mine is only stamped with a 9 m/m with a 62 under that. The guy I got the rifle from was shooting 9.3x62 and recoil was VERY heavy! I can find no reference to a 9.0x 62 cartridge, and do not think a 9,0x63 would chamber. Also stamped on the barrel is 11/25 Could this be a date? Was there a 9,0x62? It has a crown N and a crown B G U also.

da gimp
08-22-2010, 09:31
yes there is a 9mmX62mm, cases & dies are very expensive, I think it's one of the semi custom RCBS dies. Always figured it was like a .35Whelan loaded warm if not hot.

9.3mmX63mm is similar to but not equal to a .375H&H, cases & dies are very expensive too, but I think Norma & S&B make it too, & I think that they might make the 9mX57 ammo, but both nearly died out with WWII or there abouts.

Welcome to the world of shooting old German drillings & bolt rifles, they are pretty & neat guns that are very well made, but dern expensive to reload for.

I'd still like to see some pix.

da gimp

Bill
08-23-2010, 11:49
The 9.3x62 was a very common rifle in Africa, and still is. Ballistics are much like the .35 Whelen, although they usually favor heavier bullets. The most common is about 285 grains. I just returned from Africa few days ago, and when discussing rifles, next to the .375, the 9.3x62 was probably the most common non-US rifle.

Norma, Seller and Belliot and even Hornady now load for it.

Cases can be made from .30-06

da gimp
08-24-2010, 10:13
brother used a 9mmX62 (borrowed from his PH) on safari back in late 60's, early 70's for heavier plains game, said he liked it, performed well.

da gimp

Embalmer
09-03-2010, 12:21
Anyone know what year they used 5 digit sn's? Mine is a byf 43 21XXX I on receiver and dont look like was scrubbed and restamped..

Garden Valley
09-04-2010, 11:27
1943 was the first year Mauser Oberndorf began using five digit serial numbers.

Embalmer
09-04-2010, 05:30
thanks for info. I never heard of 5 digit Sn's till I got this one, and was curious. I thought was a mitchell mauser renumber, but didnt look like was a recent restamp compared to floor plate.

jonnyo55
09-06-2010, 11:05
You can be sure that you're sitting on a rifle of some value if a dealer offered you $800 after claiming its poor condition...something ain't right there!

joe
09-09-2010, 07:03
Here are some pics I took of the gun and markings. Can anyone give me an idea of what it is worth? Thank you.

joe
09-09-2010, 07:06
I posted some pics, and I appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks

kcw
09-09-2010, 08:45
The commerical proof mark in pic #2 indicates that the "Stahl Mantel Geschoss" (St.M.G.) or steel jacketed bullet used in the proof charge weighed in at 18.55grams. As you don't indicate a stamping showing the weight of the powder in the proof charge, it can be assumed that the rifle was made after 1912 or so. The double set triggers are commonly seen in guild G.I. bringbacks. Frankly, I've never seen a guild rifle without set triggers.
With no commerical maker mark on the receiver this is very likely a "guild rifle". Mauser, and it's licensed manufacturers, sold finished (in the white) receivers bearing no commerical markers marks to the guild industry. Commercial code stampings on the underside of such receivers indicate which company made it. It's possible too that the receiver could be a well sanitized surplus WWI receiver. Such receivers will bear Imperial German military production stampings on their underside.
The quality of guild guns varied considerably in the execution of the gunmakers art. Buyers pretty much got what they paid for. Functional rifles of lesser finish quality were made to supply the growing German middle class between the wars. I would think that if a dealer offered you $800 then you likely have a decent, quality piece. Many guild makers placed no maker mark of their own on their guns. The maker could be determined, if required, through the proof stampings on the underside of the barrel. such markings would trace the gun back to the proofhouse and the appropriate proof registration books kept there.

da gimp
09-14-2010, 12:29
appears to be a solidly built Mauser guild gun, with non matching #'s. She oughta shoot pretty well, MidWayUSA had dies & brass for it, expect to pay a premium for non standard(other than 7mm & 8mm) bullets & brass.If you do your part, she'll do hers. What is your rear sight? folding express leaf by chance? Were there ever scope bases installed?

da gimp

dave
09-14-2010, 01:22
Mine is a mannlicker stocked 20"barrel carbine, built on what looks like a WW1 Kar 98 action (small ring). checkered stock, butt plate has entwined S's plastic or some such. No name on rifle but all the usual barrel stamps. Sorry, can not do pics on the internet, a skill I have not learned.

joe
09-17-2010, 07:56
appears to be a solidly built Mauser guild gun, with non matching #'s. She oughta shoot pretty well, MidWayUSA had dies & brass for it, expect to pay a premium for non standard(other than 7mm & 8mm) bullets & brass.If you do your part, she'll do hers. What is your rear sight? folding express leaf by chance? Were there ever scope bases installed?

da gimp

It has a folding rear sight. All the serial #'s match on the bolt, receiver, barrell, and safety. Thank you for your help.

ncblksmth1
08-29-2011, 02:36
Anybody ever heard of Herm. Wen Rauch? Thats whats on the bottom of my barrel.

mike webb
09-01-2011, 08:40
Could it say Hermann Weihrauch? He began a sporting rifle company in 1899 in the town of Zella-Mehlis, Germany. They manufactured things there from 1899 until 1945 when the Soviets took over that part of Germany and they were thrown out of their factory. His descendants make the high velocity air rifles,Weihrauch brand still sold.