PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to Buy: Imperial 10x Shooting Coat

pmclaine
08-11-2010, 12:29
Hello,

Hoping there is a hoarder or long time surplus dealer out there that may have some old stock shooting coats on hand.

I am looking for an Imperial 10X canvas Shooting Coat (Chest size 38-40) such as the one in the following link

http://www.icollector.com/Imperial-10X-Shooting-Jacket-size-42-leather-reinforcements-padded-elbows-and-international-leath_i9568284

I know it is not as functional as a high speed high support leather coat but I'm shooting 60-70 year old rifles so high tech is not that important to me.

If anyone is able to help I appreciate your responses.

Phil McLaine

pmclaine@hotmail.com

John Kepler
08-11-2010, 01:43
Both Champion Shooter's Supply (Freeland) and Creedmoor sell a near identical Cordura jacket (you don't HAVE to buy a Hardback ya'know!). The only major difference will be fasteners better than buttons! Bet it'll be cheaper too!

pmclaine
08-11-2010, 02:24
Both Champion Shooter's Supply (Freeland) and Creedmoor sell a near identical Cordura jacket (you don't HAVE to buy a Hardback ya'know!). The only major difference will be fasteners better than buttons! Bet it'll be cheaper too!

I've considered them. You are correct the closure system will probably offer more support for a system that lacks little anyway but I like the idea of that vintage coat for the vintage rifle. I know there are sound reasons that people no longer drive those old cars as the everyday vehicle but isnt it noce when you see one out on the road. Perhaps someone will pipe in with something from the attic or basement. The one on the auction site went for less than $100 and it looks brand new.

John Kepler
08-11-2010, 03:58
FWIW, my "other" hobby is restoring old cars, mainly Corvairs. While I love my old iron and drive them a lot...I wouldn't take any of'um to Daytona (or any other tracki) and try to race'um against the new stuff. Coats aren't currently made the way that one was for some VERY good reasons! But that's me.....if I care enough to compete in something, I'm in it to win it, even though I rarely do. But it ain't gonna be for lack of trying, and I ain't there just to "participate"...of course, YMMV!

pmclaine
08-11-2010, 04:59
FWIW, my "other" hobby is restoring old cars, mainly Corvairs. While I love my old iron and drive them a lot...I wouldn't take any of'um to Daytona (or any other tracki) and try to race'um against the new stuff. Coats aren't currently made the way that one was for some VERY good reasons! But that's me.....if I care enough to compete in something, I'm in it to win it, even though I rarely do. But it ain't gonna be for lack of trying, and I ain't there just to "participate"...of course, YMMV!

I take it you are not a fan of Ralph Nadar.

My shooting ability requires that I compete only against those I have a chance to beat - that would be myself! I shot my first CMP clinic (unofficial) last weekend with a Garand and was happy with my score (353). I now have set a bar that I want to exceed. Up here in Massachusetts when it comes to guns there is no Daytona. People that shoot are not many (but it is encouraging that they seem to be growing in numbers lately).

I was wearing a USMC herringbone 4 button fatigue jacket that my father in law had been issued in the mid 50's. The FIL currently goes 2 bills plus and the jacket is tight on me at 185 lbs and I work out twice a day 4-5 times per week. I cant imagine what kind of shape he was in back in his day.

The fatigue jacket offers no shooting support but it has style. The patch pocket at the waist was great for holding my 10 rounds for the off hand and allowing them to be readily accesible. I did notice a lot of pulse being transmitted through my sling though and my kids were asking me why my shoulder was abraded (had the diamond pattern of an M1 buttplate). The 10X looks well designed for its time and I assume was made with an American quality that is rare today. Furthermore I like that it was made of honest materials leather, cotton and rubber.

I want to win as much as the next guy but I get the most enjoyment out of just being my best. My disdain for equipment will cost me points but when I beat the guy with the high tech hard back it will be that much more enjoyable. The 10X would be my first choice to have for what I am doing now, than I will consider The GP Maes USMC (dont everyone drill me for this) or the Creedmore canvas option.

John Kepler
08-12-2010, 07:02
I take it you are not a fan of Ralph Nadar.

Are you kidding! But for Ralph, production of the Corvair would have ended in 1967! The cars were tremendously innovative, but they also cost GM a bunch to make. Chevy lost $50 on every base-model Corvair 500, and my 67 Monza 110 Convertible cost more than a Camaro in the same year (quite a bit more in fact!)! Production of the Vair continued into 1969 mainly so GM couldn't be accused (in court) of caving in to Nader and his Knot-Heads.

FWIW, I interviewed Ralphie for the college rag in 1972.....he's an idiot!

My shooting ability requires that I compete only against those I have a chance to beat - that would be myself!
Bud....I don't care if you've got a "High Master" classification card in your wallet....that's the way it ALWAYS is!

A small piece of competition/shooting wisdom from someone whose first significant competition happened nearly a half-century ago. Equipment cannot add, it can only subtract from the developed skill of the shooter. Past a certain point, that subtraction overwhelms the skill, so progress on that old learning-curve becomes difficult/impossible to gauge. It's damn hard to move forward when you stick yourself in a hole to start with! Endless repetition of "2+2=5" won't help your arithmetic skills....and will never teach you differential calculus!

Also...GP Maes USED to sell an "advanced" jacket that looks fairly close to the one you want. Don't know if they still do...I wouldn't even buy a Maes jacket for my kids, so I haven't looked at them in decades. I certainly don't recommend it to you...simply relaying the fact that at one point, it existed.

pmclaine
08-13-2010, 03:00
Sir,

These points are valid. Your opinions concerning Ralph Nadar strongly resonate with me. We could not be instronger agreement.

Regards the coat, 2+2 =5 works for me. If I can find that vintage 10X from the link I posted I will have the jacket I think suitable for my level of shooting at a cost that is acceptable. With my skills spending the money saved on ammo will provide better utility than the big coat. I'm not going to go the middle road and overspend on something only as suitable as the low dollar coat.

In two or three years when I am buying my hardback you and I will be on the same page.

I have had one possible on my vintage, they are checking inventory for my size.

swampyankee
08-15-2010, 03:33
Keep an eye on e-bay the size you are looking for go up for bid all the time.You are right in the fact the old 10X is and was the best soft canvas coat ever made.The reason nobody makes one anymore is it would cost too much.They used formed,cupped padded elbow pads that are sooo! comfortable,anyone can sew a flat piece of rubber on an elbow.I use my 10X for sitting and prone and save the hardback for just offhand.

pmclaine
08-15-2010, 06:20
Keep an eye on e-bay the size you are looking for go up for bid all the time.You are right in the fact the old 10X is and was the best soft canvas coat ever made.The reason nobody makes one anymore is it would cost too much.They used formed,cupped padded elbow pads that are sooo! comfortable,anyone can sew a flat piece of rubber on an elbow.I use my 10X for sitting and prone and save the hardback for just offhand.

I have fired only one CMP type event and 40 shots were in other than the offhand. Quick math I think that means the 10X would be suitable for 80% of my shooting.

I think any point gained in the offhand is worth two in a supported position because from what I have seen of the offhand around here if you get 4-5 shots anywhere in the black you are congratulated and people start calling you a ringer (again my experience has only been with non hardcore comeptitors, they are good shooters but because no one likes the offhand it does not get practiced much). This is fun shooting and everyone enjoys the day no matter how well/bad they shoot. The hardback would certainly be the most suitable for this train of thought, but I would rather buy ammo with the money and can always use my vintage equipment as an excuse for why I didnt win.

A 10X will be perfect. Unfortunately the comupter I do 99% of my online stuff on has Ebay blocked. The home computer should be up and running soon and I will certainly start to follow Ebay. Should anyone come across something in there own online browsing I would greatly appreciate a link to same. I am hoping the one party that contacted me comes across my size in their bunker.

If I have to make a choice on size, and dont have the luxury of being able to try it on, should I err toward tight or loose? I think tight would, if too tight, could be problematic in the sitting but wouldnt show so much prone and tight will enhance whatever minimal support is offered off hand. Any experience to share?

Good luck and safe shooting.

Phil M

John Kepler
08-15-2010, 08:41
I have fired only one CMP type event and 40 shots were in other than the offhand. Quick math I think that means the 10X would be suitable for 80% of my shooting.

Unfortunately, in many cases, the difference between a Sharpshooter and a High Master is their Standing score. You will at some point discover that in Highpower, there's Standing....and then everything else. So while it may only be 20% of your time.....it's more like 90% of your Match!

I think any point gained in the offhand is worth two in a supported position because from what I have seen of the offhand around here if you get 4-5 shots anywhere in the black you are congratulated and people start calling you a ringer (again my experience has only been with non hardcore comeptitors, they are good shooters but because no one likes the offhand it does not get practiced much).

Using "good shooters" and "4-5 shots anywhere in the black" in the same sentence is an oxymoron! It took a 291-11X (300 pos...and illustrative of the importance of the Standing position...the winner shot a 93-3 on his feet, dropping 7 of his total of 9 lost points in that one position) to win this year's Garand Match at the Nationals. Even in an "entry-level" event, that's what "good shooting" looks like. Not trying to discourage you...simply trying to dissuade you from "settling" for too little.

This is fun shooting and everyone enjoys the day no matter how well/bad they shoot.

One of the concepts that I have ALWAYS had a huge problem with is the notion that shooting well and improving your performance somehow isn't 'fun", and that shooting poorly is somehow more "fun" than shooting well. Shooting poorly and accepting it is my definition of boring. Crummy days happen, and as my eyes and general health continue to deteriorate, those crummy days are a lot more numerous than they used to be, but I NEVER accept shooting worse than my capabilities willingly. Don't know if I CAN do that! Fun is shooting an X (and "calling" it) at 1000 yds with a Service Rifle, or cleaning a 200 Sitting Rapid, or shooting a 97 on your feet.....REALLY fun is doing it again! YMMV!

pmclaine
08-15-2010, 05:37
" Not trying to discourage you...simply trying to dissuade you from "settling" for too little."

You have no chance of dicouraging me.

" Crummy days happen, and as my eyes and general health continue to deteriorate, those crummy days are a lot more numerous than they used to be."

Kind of sounds like your glass is half empty and you are expecting more crummy days. I say you are still shooting and there are no crummy shooting days. Some days are more satisfying than others but there are no crummy shooting days.

Have you come across any ads for a 10X?

devine308
08-16-2010, 07:22
I have a 10-X shooting coat similar to the picture with straps and metal buckels for tiaghtening up. It is a size 34 and very tight on me. I bought it second hand about 30-years ago and still using it on sundays to shoot my Model 70 Targets, 30-06 with Unertal Scopes and steel but plates. I also shoot Devine M1A's and a M40, all with metal but plates. My coat is torn at the collar and taterated at the wrists. Would love to get another coat like it in size 40 or replace the canvas, because the pads are as new. Would appreciate feedback on this subject. Thanks,
Devine 308

pmclaine
08-17-2010, 03:20
It sounds like you have some beautiful firearms! I dream of a Unertl on an 03.

I had a party email me that they have a few 10X coats and they would check for my size. I have not yet heard back from them yet.

devine308
08-17-2010, 01:15
I also considered putting together a 1903 with the Unertal. I even got the Unertal scope blocks, but need to find someone to tap the blocks and cut the upper hand guard. The Unertal would make a far better sight picture then the 3/4" small scope to deal with.
Let me know if any of the 10X Coats come available. I am hoping my wife will do some so mending on the old coat.

pmclaine
08-18-2010, 03:06
National Match Armory has pics on their site of a USMC clone they made. I imagine they would do a good job for a good buck. A recent post in the sniper forum had good picks of the front handguard on a USMC sniper for reference.

I hope to be able to get us both a coat. Had one lead but no further contact. Something will come along.

PhillipM
08-18-2010, 12:23
National Match Armory has pics on their site of a USMC clone they made. I imagine they would do a good job for a good buck. A recent post in the sniper forum had good picks of the front handguard on a USMC sniper for reference.

I hope to be able to get us both a coat. Had one lead but no further contact. Something will come along.

Call up chuckindenver, he can handle it.

pmclaine
08-21-2010, 08:16
Got a 10X coat today by giving the club hosting the CMP match I shot at a $30 donation to their junior program. It was a juniors coat that I dug out of a back cabinet and they were no longer using. They were surprised by my interest and desire to buy. Kept my elbows nice and comfortable, the pulse pad helped with the sling and there was less felt recoil from my 03. It did everything I wanted it to do. I ended up shooting a 370 (it was a 100 yard course with reduced targets - CMP matches near to home are hard enough to come by those at full size ranges are even more scarce in MA). I'll take that on my second match, first with this rifle and my new used coat.

Devine308 - I checked for others in a similiar size. As it was a juniors coat I must have got the one they bought for the rare baby huey. At the next months shoot I will be able to speak with some people at the club that may have better info on what they have on hand and I will look for another if you are still interested. They are happy to part with them as long as it benefits the juniors.

pmclaine
09-26-2010, 05:11
I now have 2 vintage imperial 10X shooting coats. One size 40 and one size 42. I am going to keep the 42.

Some members expressed an interest in also obtaining one of these coats. Anyone interested in the size 40?

PM/Email to Devine 308 as he has asked for first chance at a size 40.

devine308
09-26-2010, 08:11
Yes, the size 40 would probally work out fine. Please let me know of the price and etc.
Thank You,
Devine308
Woody

pmclaine
09-26-2010, 09:36
Yes, the size 40 would probally work out fine. Please let me know of the price and etc.
Thank You,
Devine308
Woody

PM sent to you.