PDA

View Full Version : Shooting jacket recommendations

Jeff L
08-04-2010, 08:05
Do you guys have any recommendations on shooting jackets that won't break the bank. What do you look for in the features?

thanks

-Jeff L

dave
08-04-2010, 09:43
the only one I have, ever had, is one of those OD jackets that were advertised as being Marine jackets. I only got it for the padding it provides cause as I got older I just can't take recoil much anymore! Don't know if they are still available but they were cheap in price.

Dan Shapiro
08-04-2010, 04:10
What do I look for? Support and durability. I'd recommend the Creedmoore Lite Cordura Nylon Shooting Coat. Runs around $225 plus shipping. First and last coat you'll have to buy.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=889401&cat=465&page=1

John Kepler
08-05-2010, 04:47
I'll second the Creedmoor Rag-Jacket....sometimes "cheap" isn't worth what it costs. And disagreeing with the other poster, the GP Maes "Marine Shooting Jacket" is exactly what I'm talking about...waste of money for a real shooting jacket, not as good as a sweatshirt for anything else.

Then there's my Creedmoor Hardback Combo.....most expensive article of clothing I''ve ever bought, and maybe the best value of all my shooting gear. As I learned empirically long ago...there are places in shooting where cutting corners and not going "top-of-the-line" right out of the box or "incrementally" improving over time is prudent as there is plenty of value llurking in the middle of the pack...but a shooting coat isn't one of them. Best advice I can give you on this one, Jeff is: make room in your budget for a good jacket FIRST...all you can afford even if it hurts.

Jeff L
08-05-2010, 05:00
So the lightweight USMC style ones are no good? What about the Champions Choice jackets? Do the Creedmore Lite jackets get hot (too much insulation) or is it vented at the armpits?

thanks

-Jeff L

John Kepler
08-05-2010, 05:34
Yes, the Creedmoor is vented in the arm-pits. But Jeff....trying to find an effective jacket that isn't hot is like trying to find "light-weight" lead! Jackets that work are hot. You find used ones at the same store that sells used toothbrushes and for the very same reasons...they ALL end up smelling like something you are totally convinced couldn't possibly have originated with you! I'm at CP as we speak. Temps in the mid/high 80's with 70+% humidity. My coat already smells like something rather large crawled into it and died at least several months ago. I drank over 2 gal of water today and haven't peed yet. A lot of that is still in my coat at 2030, and at least some will remain at 0800 when I'll be shooting again. It's just part of the game!

Jeff L
08-05-2010, 05:58
Roger that. Good luck at Camp Perry.

thanks

-Jeff L

Dan Shapiro
08-05-2010, 06:31
Jeff, I might add that the guys in Arizona have a light weight vest they pull from their ice chest when it gets really hot.
Here's an example, and there are many out there.
http://www.arcticheatusa.com/
Once or twice during the year, I clean my coat with a spray 'dry cleaner'. The rest of the time, a splash of "Frabreeze" keeps me
from 'offending'. :evil6:

John Kepler
08-06-2010, 01:31
Febreze and Lysol spray keep things managable.....oh, and did I fail to mention the sweat-shirt most guys wear under the coat? Comfort is relative...and a decent string is PLENTY comfortable.

dave
08-06-2010, 05:41
Well Mr. Kepler I only gave a suggestion for "cheap" the only requirement Jeff gave. I said I only got one for the padding, never had much use for a "strait jacket", hell might as well clamp the rifle in a vise, probably do even better!

John Kepler
08-06-2010, 03:29
Ever shot 195+ on your feet? You'll talk quite a bit differently about that "straight jacket" when you do.

jjrothWA
08-06-2010, 08:48
Check out Champion Shooter Supply, bought a nice blue nylon jacket with straps for range use back in 98, good thing I got it in a 46, then! Paid $75 for it. :)

swampyankee
08-08-2010, 06:00
Depends what you want the jacket for.If you will be shooting in NRA orCMP matchs by all means get the Creedmor hardback everyone has one and you will be handi-capping yourself if you don't but only in off-hand. If you plan on mostly shooting prone or sitting or off a bench any of the lighter canvas coats would be fine.All you need is a pulse pad and a shoulder pad the extra support is not needed in those positions.I don't know what size you are but if your 38,40 or 42 you can find the old 10X jackets on e-bay all the time.I feel they were the best of the canvas type and have hoarded three in size 48 as this is what I use for prone.

Maury Krupp
08-09-2010, 11:50
Just got back so getting in late...

My advice is if you're really into highpower then go low or go high but skip the middle.

If you're not into highpower it doesn't matter what you get; a coat isn't going to turn a mediocre shooter into a High Master.

I used a GP Maes for several years; it's cheap and looks good with an As Issued M1 from a "style" viewpoint. As a coat it's adequate enough to make-do until you can afford something better. I know a guy who has gotten all of his 24 leg points wearing one (he's a pretty good shooter); the average guy may not do as well.

I tried a middle-of-the-road coat and know others who use them. I don't think I got much for the money I spent on mine. The other shooters do OK with theirs but admit it was a budget decision and not a first choice. Most plan to get a better coat when they can afford one.

I've used a Creedmoor Hardback for a number of years and like it. Of course there's plenty of support in Standing but the other bennie is once it's broken in it always folds the same way when I get into the other positions too. Where the butt goes, how my arms bend, etc, etc all are more repeatable thanks to the heavy coat. I've had the rubber replaced once; if I don't get too fat the rest of the coat will probably last forever.

As with some other items (eg, spotting scopes) you'll be able to save up the money you need for what you really want sooner if you don't pi$$ it away early on an unnecessary, unsatisfying, costs more than it needs to half-step.

Maury

Liam
08-09-2010, 11:54
As a mere casual shooter I opted for the USMC-type. Couldn't see spending what Creedmoore wants for the high end get-up. As a casual shooter I wanted some elbow protection and pulse-dampening. From the photos you can see the USMC-type provides a minimum of these. Multi-layered cloth is what gives you the comfort/protection. I concur, however, that there exists better options for shooters these days - especially if said shooter toes the line at organized CMP events or the like. What an 18-yr old can pull off using more rudimentary equipment may not be what an older fellow can pull off. I'm 44 and am going to keep using my USMC clone shooting jacket. This way, I always have an excuse for poor groups! HTH
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/Liam_068/ww2_marine_m1.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/Liam_068/closeup.jpg

Terry_b
08-09-2010, 07:55
I used ond of the canvas jackets(maybe from creedmore ) for several years until i could move up to a good hardback one. I still like the canvas one for belly matches though. In florida it gets hot so i'd soak it in a bucket of water before my relay and wear it wet. added a LOT of comfort. If it's really hot, try putting a hand full of ice cubes under a boonie hat. you're not going to believe how much the ice and cold water on your head cools you whole body.

Jeff L
08-13-2010, 02:32
So it sound like there's 2 schools of thought here: old school- (loose?) canvas jacket, new school- tight stiff jacket. Correct?

-Jeff L

Maury Krupp
08-13-2010, 02:58
Maybe more like "you get what you pay for" vs "buy once - cry once"

You can still turn in respectable scores with a USMC rag; it'll just be harder.

I don't think the mid-level coats gain enough points over a rag to justify their extra cost.

And with either of those choices you'll still be giving up points that you wouldn't be with top-level coat.

So it really comes down to what those extra points are worth to you.

Maury

pmclaine
08-24-2010, 01:24
I found a size 40 10X at a local club in their junior program cast offs. Its in really serviceable shape, excellent elbow protection with those shaped rubber cups. Perfect for me with my once a month shooting experience I am just getting into. When I asked what they would sell it for they said make us any donation to the junior program and they would give it to me. I could have said $5 or $10 bucks but I went with $30 as it would cover the cost of a couple slings they want.

Check your local clubs cast off bin and see if they have something you can buy or borrow for a try.

DMS42
08-25-2010, 06:36
The old 10-X type coats are okay for those just beginning and aren't sure yet if they are going to stay in the highpower rifle game. But once you decide that you want to get better scores then you need to get either a hard back or full leather coat. You get the most benefit in standing, but you also will gain points in sitting and prone rapid fire and help your 600 yard slow.
In standing the hard back/leather coats will tighten up your wobble area. With a smaller wobble area your scores will improve. The same applies for the other stages. You should gain almost as many points total in the prone and sitting stages as you do in standing stage.

dzelenka
08-25-2010, 08:54
Look at what the winners are using. They all use the Creedmoor Hardback Heavy jackets (at least for the last 15 years). You can find these jackets used in good condition. Spend the money. Buy once, cry once. It will last for a really long time if you don't grow out of it.

Griff Murphey
08-27-2010, 05:05
That's right, you want that rifle in a vise. Yes, but that's what the champions wear. I personally can't take them any more at age 61. I need a cloth coat for fast bolt manipulation in 03 and Vintage, now.
One plus I can shoot cross legged sitting, low, in old age. Could never do it in leather as a young man.