PDA

View Full Version : I shot my first high power match today

Jeff L
07-31-2010, 06:55
I went with a buddy to the match, it suppose to be a USMC service rifle shoot. It turns out it was an M1 Garand CMP match. What a hoot! I shot a 313. It was my first time with a Garand, quite a nice rifle. My off-hand was pretty poor. I pulled pits for the second group, never done that before either. The only down side was getting to the range and realizing I forgot my spotting scope tripod. Doh! :eusa_wall: The experienced competition shooters in my group were pretty patient and helpful. The icing on the cake was that the organizer brought his semi auto model 1919 and let everyone pop of a few rounds. Overall, big thumbs up. :1948:

-Jeff L

John Kepler
08-01-2010, 03:14
Told you you'd like it!

FWIW, generally speaking, the difference between a Sharpshooter and a Master is their Standing score. It's a toughy because it's also the one postiion that most people think they know how to shoot from when the reality is...it's the position where they are usually doing more things wrong than they are doing right! Worse yet, those "wrong" things, backed up by the self-delusion that "I'm doing it right!" or "I'm better this way!" and years of ineffective practice make it very difficult to coach a more effective position...before you can learn how to do it better, you have to "unlearn" most of what you currently think you know. One of the toughest things for an Old Fart like me to see at something like a Garand Match with a hefty percentage of novice shooters is a guy shuffling his feet all over his shooting point between shots Standing (you plant your target-side foot during prep, locate your NPOA, and move it again when you complete the string and are leaving the line....dancing around on the line will have you scattering hits all over the target at best). The key is locating your NPOA (natural point-of-aim). It's always the key to any position, and doubly so Standing. With a SOLID NPOA, it's not at all difficult to shoot Standing scores in the high-80's/90's....and almost impossible to do so without it.

Oh....just so you don't think I'm being harsh...how do you think I know how hard it is to learn how to shoot effectively Standing? Hell.....I knew what I was doing and the people attempting to help me at my first Highpower Clinic were completely full of it.....I wasn't broke, so why were they trying so damn hard to "fix" me? Then I shot my first EIC Match and had my head handed to me by a just barely pubescent little girl in pig-tails that hammered the center out of her target Standing while I was scattering hits all over a couple of Area Codes....Sara even apologized for shooting my ass off! At that point, I finally had the epiphany, and understood that I had a great deal more to learn.

Kirk
08-01-2010, 04:48
Jeff:

Competitive shooters are among the most polite & helpful people I've experienced. Our club has monthly matches & when new shooters appear, the experienced shooters invariably help out with gear and advice.

Are you already asking your self "When is the next match?"

Jeff L
08-01-2010, 06:03
I have my sights on the Vintage Bolt Action Match in November, but I may be coaching soccer- we shall see. I imagine the second Garand match would be a little easier since I got my first one under my belt.

-Jeff L

Kirk
08-11-2010, 04:43
Now that you know what it is like, more matches = enjoyment. If you have an Appleseed match anywhere nearby, try it. They are excellent and you can use your Garand (since you'll shoot several hundred rounds, you can start with a .22 & switch to a Garand later.)

Hunter
08-25-2010, 05:21
Glad you had a great time Jeff. Now you're stuck! I moved and am dealing with disintegrating parents and my reloading and hipower gear is scattered. I can't WAIT to shoot hipower again. Garand matches are indeed fun. As pres of a local gun club years ago, we had a JC Garand match. I suggested that we draw lots and number rifles to ENTIRELY even the playing field. I was voted down by those who thought their M1 Rifles too precious to be held by strangers! Jeff, get out there and SHOOT. Also, do not miss an opportunity to go to Camp Perry. Man, do I love (and MISS) 600 yard slowfire.....
PS: HEY to John Keppler! And John! I got thrashed soundly by a barely pubescent teen in her JAMMYS and fuzzy slippers!!!. Not kidding! H.