PDA

View Full Version : M1D barrel question

wrangler
07-18-2010, 01:06
Can someone tell me how the M1D scope ring barrel block is attached to the barrel?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Bill D
07-18-2010, 04:05
With a pin.

wrangler
07-18-2010, 05:36
Thanks Bill;

Not quite the answer I was looking for. I guess I should have elabored in depth. I have Scott Duff's book with a picture of the mount. The pin too. Is there a indexing hole to be drilled into the barrel for the pin? Also, does the mount fit over the barrel or is it installed on the barrel when it is off. Also indexing. Is the top milled flat squared with the rear sights base as is when indexing the barrel to the receiver?

Thanks for any other information you can relate.

Dave

Dan in NY
07-18-2010, 07:07
Hi dave;

I bought a CMP Racker and all Sarco & Numrich repro parts and made my own M1D....To answer your question, here's how I did it...let me preface this by saying I am by no means an armorer, or even a gunsmith, but I am an ameteur machinist with a good lathe setup & all proper M1 tooling & gages, etc.....The USGI barrel shank is machined down to create a tight machine fit when the barrel block is placed over it....This is probably the second most crucial step....Also I trued both the face of the block that meets the receiver and the internal bore of the block.....The barrel shoulder needs to be turned back so when installed & crushed, it meets, along with the turned-down barrel shoulder, the reciever face...(the most important step, as if you go too much, its ruined..) Once block is on, and headspace is on the money, making sure the block is squared up, I then marked & drilled the indexing hole.....I personally think the hole is overkill, as I used blue Loctite on the whole thing, once everything was going back together for the last time...and I kept all my tolerances TIGHT...I made the block/barrel shank fit tight enough that it could be removed for fitting/crushing/headspacing purposes, but it was tight, and a rawhide mallet had to be used to remove it........Meaning, after I turned down the barrel shank, block face and installed the block, I then installed the barrel, squared the block to where it was supposed to be, then torqued it... (in my case, I believe I leveled it to the top of the reciever, with the scopemount hole at 9 o'clock...but I'd have to dig out my notes to be sure)...
Only issue I had was to relieve the bottom of the repro block where I had some minute op-rod contact...not a biggie, but probably wouldn't have happened with a USGI block...

I also had to clean up the contact face of the scope mount, where it met the Numrich block...A little Dremelling here & there, then a final polish and everything went together perfectly...I have about 300 rounds through it in the M1D configuration, and have had ZERO problems with loosening....I did not use Loctite on those threads....In fact I had it out last month and was dinging a steel plate at 350 yds. with every shot....

It was a good project and got me VERY familiar with the way an M1D was assembled...I had some help from some board members with minor questions, but basically, all problems were minor, and the rifle runs , looks & shoots great...I will admit, it took me a long time for it to come together, as it was uncharted ground for me...It's the wrong project to rush through...

Sorry for the long post, and didn't mean to hijack it, but thought my story might help...

regards

Dan

wrangler
07-18-2010, 08:32
Thanks Dan. Your reply was very helpful to say the least!

Dave